Tuesday 2 July 2019

Expressions of Faith


  “God knows people’s hearts, and he confirmed that he accepts Gentiles by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as he did to us. He made no distinction between us and them, for he cleansed their hearts through faith.” Acts 15:8-9

  Sunday’s teaching has stretched me yet again. The lesson was taught by an Aboriginal elder, Terry Leblanc, who challenged us to think about how we often view other’s faith in Jesus through a lens of prejudice. The title of the lesson was, “Why Can’t You Just Be Like Me?” It was very powerful and can be accessed at www.themeetinghouse.com
  The context of this passage is believers belonging to the sect of the Pharisees felt the Christian Gentiles needed to follow Jewish law as part of their faith practices. Paul’s response to this was, “Why are you now challenging God by burdening the Gentile believers with yoke that neither we nor our ancestors were able to bear?” v.10
  In a conversation with a friend, the idea of a Christian moral code came up. It’s something every single believer, regardless of how long they have believed, should live up to. NOT! Boy those are ugly words. They disarm grace, they are punishingly cruel, they are probably the reason fewer people come to Christ.
  I’ve heard many times the reason they don’t want to follow Jesus is because they have to give up too much. Mr. Leblanc and his wife, as new believers, burned everything in their home that even hinted at their Aboriginal heritage. To believe was to snuff out anything that wasn’t just like everyone else.
  I am, was, a big Steven King fan owning almost all his books. I believed, as a Christian, these horror novels should not be in my home so the shelf was purged…except for three I simply couldn’t part with. The Stand, The Green Mile and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon were a crucial part in my journey to finding God. (Smile.) He wasn’t lost, I was!
  This slight “disobedience” has enabled me to embrace the belief that God is in all things and He will use all things for His Glory. While I rarely crack the pages of these books, they have a place on my bookshelf and serve to remind me that it was God who pursued me and not the other way around. They fanned the flames for my own, hunger filled quest for the Holy Grail that eventually led to me finding it in the person of Jesus.
  Do I believe everyone should go for walks in the woods as part of their faith practices? No. Do I believe everyone should use art as a form of prayer? No. Have I wrestled with the idea that these two things are un-Christian or wrong? Yes. Simply because they are a different way of connecting with my Maker and don’t seem to fall within the parameters of what church should look like.
  I don’t worship the trees. I listen to the sounds of the wind through their branches and my heart joins them in their whispered celebration of the Creator of all things.

  I have been challenged this week to reflect on other people’s faith practices and the tools they use to connect with God on a personal and intimate level. My own prejudice towards Aboriginal rites and rituals has been shaken loose. (Forgive me, Lord, for having been so judgmental and suspicious and fear filled.)
  It all boils down to realizing God can speak all languages. A person who follows Jewish law can be a Christian. An person who beats a drum whose very existence tells a story and sings praises to our God is my brother and sister. 
  I don't think God had intended for prejudice and fear to be such a big part of our being with people of like minds. After He made every individual, He broke the mold.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...