Thursday 18 July 2019

Head to Heart


  “Remember how the Lord your God led you through the wilderness for these forty years, humbling you and testing you to prove your character, and to find out whether or not you would obey his commandments.” Deuteronomy 8:2

  Sunday’s notes pose this question: Do we love God? Or do we use God because we love what God can do for us?
  I’ve been mulling this over for several days now. It’s an important question.
  Then I remembered another sermon about when Jesus asked Peter three times if he loved Him. (John 21:15-17) The first two times Jesus used the Hebrew word for full on, no holds barred, agape love. The third time He used the love word for friendship. Three times Peter said yes.
  Which begs a bigger question. What does love look like?
  There’s a popular book about five love languages detailing different ways that love manifests itself. I haven’t read it but have heard many people talk about it over the years. Some people show love by serving. Others, it’s giving gifts. For some it’s all about hugs and touch. I am not sure what the other two are. Oh, right, another is verbal affirmations.
  Time and again we have been taught that the love of God is relational. What does that relationship look like? What does any relationship look like? A healthy one contains elements of serving, of being served, of gratitude and of praise. Growth and change are important, too. A healthy relationship is mutually beneficial for all involved. (Smile.) Although nothing I do is anything God has to have to become a better God. He is already perfect. Our relationship is for my benefit (joy) and His glory.
  Utilizing (I don’t like the word “use”) someone else for their special skills, their abilities, their strength and even their gender is not non-loving until it becomes non-loving…?...Until it contains elements of power and subjugation enforced through fear. (Thank You, Lord, for the experiences which have taught me what love is NOT!)
  Do I love God for what He has done? Absolutely! Have I used Him? Yes. Without Him, I would not be here. But is it using from a purely selfish what-can-I-get-from-this aspect or is it utilizing God’s strength, peace and grace when I had none? Or maybe it isn’t even using Him but needing Him desperately.
  Needing someone is an important aspect of love. It’s an admission of the God given desire for relationship. Need is the birthplace of humility. Want is the birthplace of hope.
  
  Lord, thank You for being in my life. You know how I long to understand the truth and purity of Your love for each and every one of Your creations. Teach me to love better. In Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...