Tuesday 16 July 2019

To See or Not to See


“Sometime later, God tested Abraham’s faith. ‘Abraham!’ God called.
  ‘Yes,’ he replied. ‘Here I am!’” Genesis 22:1

  The expression, “Here I am!” is the English translation of the Hebrew word Hineni. Hineni means “Behold! See me!”
  There’s a very short scene in the movie Avatar that touches my heart every time I see it. I feel it reflects the essence of what Abraham is doing when he asks God to see him. The main character in the movie is learning the ways and language of the indigenous people. Their greeting, “I see you,” literally means I see your wonderful, most precious person and celebrate the gift of you being in the here and now with me. I see your soul, the manifestation of all you are and all you long to be. I see your worth!
  The soul bit is from the movie. My ability to see into another's soul is not within human capabilities. That belongs to God. I can only see as much of another's soul as they choose to reveal to me or through an in-sight gifted by the Holy Spirit.
 
  When Abraham asks God to see him, he is laying himself down in naked vulnerability. (Smile.) There isn’t a fig leaf in sight.
  Ok. Now I have to ask the question, what’s the difference between a soul and a spirit?
  Thank You again, Lord, for Google!
  Got Questions gives this definition: The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12). The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the immaterial part of humanity that connects with God.
  Like when Adam and Eve were hiding after eating the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge, I am sure God knew exactly where Abraham was. Their responses weren’t for God’s benefit but for theirs. God’s invitation, His calling our name, is an open door to community and relationship with Him.
  The Psalmist describes the sort of seeing we are to ask of God. “Search me, God, and know my heart.” Psalm 139:23
  Letting in and letting go. That’s what all this is about. I know there are places in my soul that are broken and it’s hard to look them in the eye. Let’s call it what it is: sin (sin being anything that keeps me apart from God.) Yet, despite these things, I know I can turn to God for healing, grace and forgiveness. My “here I am” is an eager battle cry to overcome and an even more eager quest for truth.
 
  I have been guilty of not seeing others, of marginalizing their presence in my life. It’s something I need to work on and practice. In this day of technological separation, living with an I See You attitude just might make all the difference in the world to someone else.
  
  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...