Friday 5 April 2019

How?


 “Because of the miraculous signs Jesus did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many began to trust in him. But Jesus didn’t trust them, because he knew all about people. No one needed to tell him about human nature, for he knew what was in each person’s heart.” John 2:23-25

  I have to give thanks for being led to this passage this morning. There is a question, a concern, which has plagued me since I became a follower of Jesus. I’ve wrestled with how forgiveness is manifested when it comes to loving my enemies. I’ve forgiven them but made the choice to exclude them from my life whenever possible.
  They are not trustworthy. (Is this a judgement or is it discernment? Or neither, when history has proven this time and again?)

  But how does this work itself out when Jesus has commanded us to love our enemies, to turn the other cheek? Does this not imply having some sort of relationship with them?
  Jesus allowed Judas to travel with Him, learn from Him even though He knew Judas would betray Him.
  Why did Judas stay with Him in the first place?
  I know there was a great deal of status in being a Rabbi’s disciple. It was a pathway to wealth, power, and leadership. Was it Jesus’ teaching about living humbly and modestly that caused him to turn away? Even though he had seen Jesus work God’s miracles he was a man enthralled by money! The thirty pieces of silver he was paid to betray Jesus was a hefty chunk of change.
  In the end, though, the silver wasn’t enough once Judas realized what the Pharisees had planned all along: to kill the Man he loved.
  I suppose I am at a great disadvantage here simply because I do not know what lay in someone else’s heart.
  Yet, God placed Judas in the hands of Jesus because Judas had a role to play in order to fulfill the Scriptures about the Messiah: that He would be born of Man, live, die and ascend to Heaven. In fact, Jesus released Judas to do what he needed to do in order for this to happen.

  Another passage comes to mind. I’m not sure where it is but it is cautionary. We are not to cast our pearls before swine.
  And I grow frustrated and no further ahead than when I started. Maybe this isn’t something I can work out on my own even though I have the Spirit to guide me. Perhaps my swirling, convoluted emotions about the people involved are hampering my understanding. (Smile.)Yes, they are!
  Lord, I lift this up to You. Grant me clarity. Lead me into truth. Make me open to hearing an answer I may not like.  In Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 4

  "Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked." Psalm 1:1   I don't have to go too far to find wicked ad...