Wednesday 10 April 2019

Deconstructing A Slap


  “If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also.” Jesus says in Mathew 5:39

  I have to thank my friend H for sharing a teaching from the Institute of Catholic Culture about this passage. It finally clarified what this means!
  This also fits in with my own church’s teaching about Doubt, Deconstruction, and Jesus. I am going to try and deconstruct my literal understanding about this passage and replace it with a metaphorical one. It makes sense.  Jesus uses metaphors all the time in His teaching. 

  To start with, all that comes to mind is two armored knights facing each other. One removes his gauntlet and slaps the other across the face. It’s a scene many a comedy has made fun of. What happens next is where these knights have drifted away from the teachings of Jesus.
  They end up battling each other because a slap across the face is a direct assault on the other’s honour. It is by no means a killing blow, but an insulting one. Insult is met by insult.
  I think the same tableau can find itself re-enacted throughout time. In the 1600-1700’s the slap of a cotton glove becomes a challenge to duel with pistols at ten yards. At least one person will die, if not both, in this personal battle to protect a puffed up, pride filled understanding of honour.
  Then there are the ladies who slap their suitors across the face when their honour is compromised by unwanted advances. Again, insult is met by insult.
  Somewhere along the line the idea of honour became synonymous with pride.

  Pride is not honour.

  What?

  Pride is self serving. Honour serves others.
  Honour is the gift of worth, of value, of esteem. Honour is humility in action.
  Then there is the idea of offense. It is only received when it is taken.
   Hmmm, it appears I need to turn the other cheek more often because being offended hampers the ability to forgive. Forgiveness is love in action.
  Besides, the left cheek is closer to the heart!
  
  One more thought about the history of cheek slapping. A slap was resolved by killing. While the days of legal duels to the death have gone, I am suddenly faced with the idea of mental murder, wished on my enemies; enemies who are simply enemies because they have offended me. May God have mercy on me.

  PS.I also want to thank my readers for their prayers. The torn muscle in my back is greatly improved. The soreness has resolved into a dull ache instead of the painful, breath stealing spasms. I am glad it’s aching though because it will remind me to be careful over the next little.
  God bless your day! AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 4

  "Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked." Psalm 1:1   I don't have to go too far to find wicked ad...