Thursday 18 April 2019

At last!!


  “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemies!’ But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” Mathew 5:43-44

  This has been the most challenging of Jesus’ teachings to get a handle on but it is slowly making sense. Trying to figure out what loving an enemy looks like has taken a great deal of thought because, to be honest, I didn't think I could.  I have wrestled with believing love was only found in a relationship until I finally realized we can love without one.
  Jesus doesn’t command that we be friends. He doesn’t say to keep them close. He doesn’t say welcome them into our home.
  He asks that we forgive them. This is an act of love for our enemies (and for God as well.) Sometimes it’s easy. Sometimes, not so much. Sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes we can’t do it on our own but we are not on our own.  We have Jesus to show us how once we make the choice to forgive. It is a choice because God has given us free will.
  I had thought that forgiveness in action meant being in a relationship with those who have hurt me enough to warrant forgiveness in the first place. I thought that being able to have a relationship with them was a barometer of just how much they had been forgiven.
  But I don’t think God tests us that way.  Or maybe He does but I think not all of us are called to take this step. Maybe, down the road, this will happen to me but for now to forgive is enough. I am going to have to trust Him on this.

  My friend, H, shared a teaching from Richard Rhor. He says the way to “love” my enemy is to desire justice for them. This is completely different than seeking justice. Seeking justice comes from the idea of having revenge. Wanting justice for them means leaving it up to God as to how He deals with my enemy. It’s an easy prayer.
  “Lord, give them the good things they deserve and deal with the negative stuff according to Your wisdom.” Justice might contain mercy or chastisement.
  Smile. I’ve been on the receiving end of both. Love means admitting my enemy deserves good things because they are God’s creations…I have to admit that’s a challenge at times.

  The Lord just blessed me with a light bulb moment…Wanting good things for them is a figurative way of turning the other cheek!

  Loving my enemy means being able to acknowledge they are as broken as I am. Loving my enemy means admitting God loves them as much as me.
  Loving my enemy means extending grace…there’s that cheek again. Grace is an offspring of love.

  There are countless people who have come and gone in my life. I have been the enemy. I have persecuted others for their faith, their skin colour, their weight, their gender...and much, much more. I have caused hurt. I have been cruel.
  God has forgiven me for these things. I can only pray those I have harmed will be able to as well, that God will heal them of the wounds I inflicted.
  It doesn’t mean I need to be invited over for a cup of coffee.

  Thank You, Lord, for this humbling reminder and for leading me into understanding. Let me learn how to put the idea of loving my enemy into tangible actions. In Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN!

1 comment:

  1. I don’t think forgiveness means that you have to have a relationship with them… Forgiving them means you’re releasing that energy so that it no longer has a hold over you. It’s not an easy thing.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 4

  "Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked." Psalm 1:1   I don't have to go too far to find wicked ad...