Monday 16 July 2018

Measuring

  Life went and got busy. It's a good busy. Vacation planning, church, and this half day was spent taking interior and exterior measurements for the designer to draw up blueprints for my addition. It has gotten rather complicated.
  There is a conservation authority for the area I have to get permission from to build. That is the first step. Without their approval, it will be a no go.
  When (when, not if ) the approval happens, there is an HVAC report. That is an assessment of the heating and cooling requirements for the entire house. Windows, doors, room sizes are all factored in as well as the requirements for the new space.  Both are needed before the town will even consider issuing a building permit.
  It took me 5 hours to measure everything inside and out and to draw up rough sketches. Tape measures are tricky rascals for one person.
  Whenever I draw a floor plan I am reminded of my dad. Designing houses was the only hobby he had. Not that they were ever built, he just enjoyed doing them. That's where I learned how. Using the templates with outline of tiny toilets, sinks and stoves was always fun. I have no idea where they went.
  But I have learned something. The house is bigger than 600 square feet. The footprint is a whopping 768 square feet based on exterior measurements. Mind you, some of that area is swallowed by exterior and interior walls. It makes sense now I think about it. Building sizes are usually divisible by 4 feet or 8 feet, the standard length of a 2x4.  Funny, that, how the metric system never reached building materials.
  Lord, thank You for providing yet another skill that has come in so handy over the years. I pray that there will be no objections to the addition and that permissions, permits and contractors arrive exactly when they need to. Amen!

  " Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven and blessed them." Mathew 14:18 JCB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 5

   "The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human race; He looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God." Psalm...