Friday 20 July 2018

A Doctor

  I am grateful for the Canadian health system, regardless that it is overburdened, under staffed, has long wait times and all the other woes. For decades I went to one family doctor. Initially, the trio at the practice was the only doctor's office in town. Praise God they are infrequent visits. A couple years ago, he retired. A new doc took over his practice.
  I've got a chest cold thingy going on. With going away, it seemed prudent to get it checked out. I called the old number to find out that the new doctor had left last November!
  This caused a momentary burst of panic. Getting a family doctor is difficult, with overworked practioners reluctant to take on new patients. Thankfully, he had only moved up the road so I was able to find him and make an appointment.
  So here's the thing: the old office had a case load of thousands of patients. Often it would be several days before a time was avaliable. Appointments were ten minutes if you were lucky. Waiting for an hour was nothing. The harried and overworked receptionists were abrupt to the point of rudeness all the time. If memory serves, they have always been that way. It always felt as though I was begging a favour to see my doctor.

  Yes, Lord, we are blessed in this country.  I know that. This is about more than our health care system.

  When I called the new office, the receptionist was pleasant and friendly. Oh, what a pleasure to speak to her! Thankfully, she got me in the next afternoon.
  I went early because they were treating me like a new patient even though I had seen the doc once while he was still at the old office. It meant there was some paperwork. Letting her know how nice it had been dealing with her on the phone brought a smile to her face. A few words of blessing.
  I left his office feeling like a person, not a hunk of meat. I left his office feeling as though my small health issue was the most important case he had ever taken on. Armed with a bunch of blood work, mammogram and x-ray requisitions, I left knowing that this new doctor placed a great deal of importance on pro-active care.
  Now, he had already done this for me at the old office but they were never followed up on. That was just before having to be there for my uncle during his last days on earth, dealing with his house, and funeral. Time got away from me.
  I also really struggle with the intimate invasion that is part of a full physical. I shared this with him. He told me there is a lady, nurse practitioner at the hospital who could do that part of the vetting. Something to think about.

  Simple kindness goes a long way. It doesn't take any more time. It doesn't cost anything. Simple kindness is placing inestimable worth on another living, breathing, feeling human being. Simple kindness is Jesus living through us. Amen!
  "God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God." Mathew 5:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 5

   "The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human race; He looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God." Psalm...