Wednesday 4 July 2018

I am His workmanship. Ephesians 2:10

  "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." NKJV
  "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." JCB

  This is a verse that has been blogged about before. Years ago, this was spoken over me at a retreat where I learned the Greek word for workmanship is poema. We are God's poetry!
  Out of curiosity, I googled how many different types of poetry there are. In the English language alone, it's 29 although slam poetry wasn't on the list.

  Yesterday I spent a couple of wonderful hours at the beach with my friend. Down from us was a family. Mom, dad, and a couple of kids were enjoying the sand and warm water as much as we were. Or maybe more...
  The mom was overweight according to medical standards. Her thighs were dimpled. Her stretch marked belly sagged. Yet, there she was, bikini clad, the story of child bearing visible for all to see. Her skin was a beautiful honey colour where the sun had caressed her. She was so beautiful, so womanly soft in a way that surpassed mere sexuality.
  I was jealous. I was jealous of her freedom because my own, conservative one piece suit had a skirt sufficiently long enough to hide my own dimpled, lily-white, never revealed, thighs. It is long enough to cover my shame about weight and my own baby battle scars.
  But here's the thing. By putting it on, it only enforces the shame. It only enforces my belief that my body, just as it is, is an ugly, unacceptable thing.

  On the way home, I stopped at Wal-Mart to buy a new bathing suit. It's still a one-piece because the two pieces they had left still incorporated a skirt. I will have to wear it and get some sun on my upper legs before camping or they will fry up quick as bacon.
  Lord, let me be free of society's definition of beautiful because this body is a gift. This body can glorify You. This body can be a testimony to Your grace. This body can do Your works by serving You. Dimples and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 5

   "The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human race; He looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God." Psalm...