Sunday 29 July 2018

Canisbay Lake, Algonquin Park


  It is early. While away I got a message from Hydro for a planned, two hour power outage this morning. So, up, generator running and enough battery power to write while I wait for the lights to come back on. I missed my morning writing although we were in the cell phone accessible area along the highway running through the park.
  Ah, Algonquin Provincial Park...wild enough that a young black bear perused the campground searching for tidbits left out by careless campers yet civilized enough for hot showers. He was a new addition to my life list.
  A few highlights...It rained the day we arrived. I think the skies had held onto all of this terribly dry summer's moisture and let it fall in the course of one night. Conversation was impossible as the rain hammered the canopy and the tarps spread to protect our gear.
It eventually eased off. As I lay half awake, the wind would shake the tops of the towering maple trees. The leaves shook off their glistening drops in a crescendo of random beats.
  Forest fires were raging far north of us and despite the heavy rain, a fire ban was in place. My friend and I filled the evenings playing cards or perusing our nature books to identify some of the plants and wildflowers photographed on our hikes. Between her books and my old Reader's Digest North American Wildlife, we managed to identify quite a few. Whether or not I will remember the names remains to be seen.

  Canisbay Lake was the ideal spot for my kayak's maiden voyage. Shallow, no deeper than my waist for the most part, small enough to reach shore easily and plied by a multitude of other boaters. Even so, I stayed safe wearing a life jacket, having a whistle handy as well as packing the emergency boat kit every time I went out.     
  Kayaking added a whole other dimension to the outdoors. Sitting eye level with a loon, watching him preen and set his feathers straight...A Black duck and a Great Blue Heron shared his territory...The quiet rush of water past the bow...Sitting in the midst of a Water Lily garden as the leaves bounced in the wind driven ripples. I fell in love with the sport.
  Three voyages enabled me to grasp some of the basics like getting in and out. Out is trickier than getting in. I was pleased I didn't end up falling flat on my back with legs in the air. (Wouldn't that have got me laughing!) The first couple times getting out, there was a strong hand to assist. The last time, I figured out how to beach my bright red craft sideways so it was more stable. That, and I wasn't trying to rise against the gravity of an uphill slope. No hands were needed.
  I am a long way from attempting to kayak on anything more turbulent than small waves. That is more than okay. There is still much to learn. I will give thanks for the joy brought into my life through floating on the living waters.
  "Jesus replied, "Believe me, dear woman, the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on this mountain or in Jerusalem." John 4:21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 5

   "The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human race; He looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God." Psalm...