Wednesday 30 September 2015

Mono Cliffs Conservation Area by Susan L.


  I suppose one set of trees looks pretty much like all the others. The location is different though, therefore the habitat is different. This park is at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment where H and I found a few treasures we'd never seen before. A Hart's Tongue fern which is so rare the Ministry of Natural Resources asks that you report its location. I'd have taken a picture but it was too far off the path and they ask for all visitors to stay on the path in order to protect the fragile environment.
  Our mushroom hunting found several different varieties as well as a foul smelling, stink horn mushroom. I thought something had died. We found it by the buzzing clouds of flies circling around. We weren't able to identify the specific species because someone had kicked the tops off.
  That happens a lot. Especially to mushrooms growing close to a path. Which is a shame. The point of a conservation area is so everyone can enjoy the biodiversity of a particular area.
  The path we took meandered around the lowlands at the foot of the cliff. Just a couple of decades ago this area was open grasslands. It is slowly turning back into the original forest that once covered this farm field. There are traces of agriculture: stone hedge rows, pieces of split rail fence, a row of ancient maples marked what we figured was a farm lane at one point. It's nice to see it returning to forest.
  There were lots of apple trees. Some may have been an orchard at one point, the rest sort of popped up in clumps. The smell of fermenting fruit reminded me of apple cider. I wonder if the local deer have a party at night when no one is around.
  Next time we go to this park, we'll head to the trails at the top of the cliff. It provides spectacular views, hidden caves, and ancient bonsai cedars clinging to the cliff face.
  Once again I am thankful for these places that are only a short drive away.
  "If you will walk in My ways, and if you keep My command, the you shall also judge My house, and likewise My courts; I will give you places to walk among these who stand here." Zech 3:6
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place. Such diversity in such a limited area. Reminds me that we are individual. Never, in all time past or present, has there ever been another me. I may share a trait, or a talent, or eye color, or taste, but never another me. And think, God has a special name prepared for me in Heaven, one only He knows. How special is that???

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...