The CEO of our local hospital is forming a volunteer Patient and Family Council in order to better serve the community. It's unusual for a small, rural hospital to have a forum like this which speaks volumes about its forward thinking leadership. There was an ad in the paper asking for applications so I decided to apply. I got a phone call yesterday asking if I'd come in for an interview.
I am hoping to be accepted as an advocate for mental health. Thankfully work has endorsed this so I will also be a representative of the Krasman Centre.
My own mental health experiences with the staff there haven't been too good once I was a repeat visitor. Although, there are some shining stars within the staff. Time and again I've heard stories about the harsh and callous treatment towards those who only go to the emergency department as a last resort. The ER is often the only local resource for people who are struggling. This is especially true for people who lack transportation or the funds to find help elsewhere.
Can one voice make a difference?
You bet it can.
Huh. Could that be confidence?
Yup. A confidence based on first hand knowledge. I've had feedback from my newspaper column affirming its value.
Years ago I spearheaded a battle against a large, industrial cattle farm that had moved into the area. It was successful because the township listened, as did the various government ministries involved. It started out as an esthetic issue but as my knowledge grew, it became a health and environmental one. (The impact of this type of farming is staggering!) It took a few years but eventually bi-laws were put in place capping the 3000 head operation. Neighbouring townships followed suit.
So, Lord, use my voice as a champion for those who are unable to speak. Help me find the words. Grant me strength for the interview. In Jesus' Name I pray.
"To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice." Prov 21:3
The Black River is a journey in faith. It delves into an exploration of life: from the calm, clear waters of the good days, the mundane, to the swirling eddies and deep waters of issues that face every one of us. Thank you for visiting this site. You can contact me personally at: godandtheblackriver@gmail.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Loss
"The Lord cares deeply when His loved ones die." Psalm 116:15 There have been two people lost in our little community to the ...
-
"Before the mountains were born, before You gave birth to the earth and the world, from beginning to end, You are God." Psalm 9...
-
H and I went the Circle theatre. Its a local movie house that was established in the 1920's. They redid the interior a while ago but k...
-
I met up with a woman who had been out of my life for a long while. She had been at my baptism in 2006 and after hearing my testimony, a t...
No comments:
Post a Comment