Monday 12 November 2018

The Quest


  This week’s scripture is Mathew 13:1-23, the parable of the farmer planting seed. While we are encouraged to focus on the main story, found in verses 13:3-9, the rebel in me is going to focus daily on the verse that stands out after reading the entire passage:

  “He replied, ‘You are permitted to understand the secrets of the Kingdom of Heaven, but others are not.” Mathew 13:11

  There is an ongoing debate among Christians because of the command, found in 1 Corinthians 14:33-35, where women are ordered to be silent in church. This is one of the commands found in the Laws of Moses. (Keeping in mind, women were not taught the Torah or taught to read at that time.) It leaves me puzzled to some degree, how this particular Law continued to operate, and still does, in some religious circles despite the New Covenant put into place upon Jesus’ death.
  Didn’t His sacrifice on the cross disqualify the Laws of Moses? How come this Law was perpetuated after His death?
  This is one of the most hotly debated topics within Christian circles and has caused great rifts in God’s people as one stance or the other butt heads. I find this terribly sad, that we can be so divided.

  Here’s the Triple T:
  In the here and now, all believers in Jesus Christ are gifted with the Holy Spirit. Age, gender, race or education makes no difference. The Bible has been converted into many languages and even recorded so those who cannot read can hear God’s Word. Technology can be a wonderful thing!
  All who believe are granted permission and the ways and means to unlock the secrets of the Kingdom. But there is a cautionary element to this parable. The unlocking only happens through the pursuit of knowledge and understanding which is what this parable is about. We need good soil and deep roots to flourish as believers.
  Perhaps the silencing of women was to encourage them to be proactive in learning; to be like Martha’s sister Mary who sat at Jesus’ feet as He taught of His Kingdom.

  If I chose to obey the Law, due to my gender, I would have no right to blog. I would have no right to read out loud the things I have been asked to write for church, a sharing of the gift of creative writing. I would have no right to explore and discuss God’s Word with others not my spouse. (I haven't got one of those anyways.) I would only be able to listen.
  Then I have to smile. Sometimes I miss the point. But missed points are learning opportunities!
  As a new Christian, I was rather grossed out by the thought of washing someone’s stinky, smelly, feet and boldly said so at a Bible study group. I proclaimed with great pride, “I would NEVER do that!”
  Praise God, the group was full of grace and didn’t pounce on me for not knowing any better.

  Knowing better came in God’s time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...