Thursday 1 November 2018

And I in them.


“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” Mathew 15:5

  Apart: isolated, disconnected, removed, away. Horrible words that are no longer part of my vocabulary in reference to Jesus Christ. In fact, they aren’t part of my life at all. Well, mostly. Some days I can still feel this way but not as often as I used to. Praise God!

  Remain: stay, dwell, live, reside, rest…jeweled facets of a life with Jesus as Lord. Homecoming words. Words that envelope the life of faith that has sustained me, which continues to sustain me. More praises to God!
 
  When Jesus went in to the garden of Gethsemane to pray before He was arrested then later crucified, He left His disciples for a while after asking them to pray for Him. They fell asleep. Apart from Jesus, they were unable to do as He asked.
  Apart from Jesus, they denied they knew Him. They fled in fear of their lives after He was arrested. Judas hung himself. (That part always makes me sad because he would never know the love and grace of God.)

  But things irrevocably changed at the Feast of Pentecost. Those who believed were given the Holy Spirit, the third person of God. Since then, all who choose to believe have this gift bestowed on them…no, it’s bestowed in them. And He came bearing gifts.
  Wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues according to 1 Corinthians 12:8-10. I suppose that’s the technical side, the doing side of things but, for me, the Holy Spirit has helped me learn to love, to forgive, and to let go. He is the constantly present manifestation of God’s perfect love.
  Everything He does in my life points to Jesus, the Teacher, and the lover of my soul. Even when I fall asleep. (That happens a lot…smile.)

  This fills me with an uncontainable upwelling of gratitude. It is so great, I have no words.
  Gratitude can’t help but happen when we realize we will never, ever, ever be alone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...