Tuesday 6 November 2018

About! Face!


  “Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!” Mathew 10:8

  Freely give just like it was given to us. It’s a morning meditation of conviction. (Not condemnation. There’s a huge difference between the two.)
  I know I fall short of this perfect giving. Regularly…the unresolved hurts, anger and sometimes plain ole pettiness and stinginess get in the way. These are seasoned with judgment, the human tendency to decide who is worthy or who is not. Our judgments are based on that person’s conduct, clothing, gender, education, how they speak, religion, race, eye colour, beauty, ability or disability…It is easy to find a reason for someone to be “Less than”.
  Jesus is the Great Equalizer.
  Here’s the thing. Judgment is so much a part of the fabric of humanity (thanks to an apple) that most of the time we don’t even know it’s happening. Myself included.
  Exposure is a great teacher. Stepping outside our circle of comfort can be eye opening. It can help transform the “them and us” to “we.” Taking the time to listen to someone’s story is like pouring worth into someone’s life.
  So is taking the time to think about all the blessings Jesus has poured into our own lives. Acceptance. Redemption. The blessings of grace, of forgiveness and of compassion…

  Gag! That’s religion at its worst! Platitudes and attitudes. 
  Sorry about that. Here am I, judging all the people who judge! (Smile.)

  I’ll climb down from the pulpit now because I think I am missing something here. Perhaps all that blathering is an effort to justify my own reactions and behaviours. The big “buts” that stop me from pouring out the love of Jesus that every part of my being knows is continuously pouring in. And it’s not just pouring in, it resides within! 
  Maybe it’s because I haven’t learned how to receive this outpouring from God. Maybe it’s because I turn a deaf ear to the leading of God’s Spirit. Maybe it’s because there are still places I judge myself as unworthy of all the gifts. Maybe it’s like I am holding a giant, judgment sieve over my soul, straining out the best parts of this life I have with Jesus.
  I have to smile again. There is no “maybe” about it. These are things I am doing.

   Abba, forgive me.

  Lord, there are many places I wish to see grow and mature. Help me turn head knowledge into actions of the heart.  In Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...