Wednesday 21 November 2018

Where There Be Weeds


  “Then, leaving the crowds outside, Jesus went into the house. His disciples said, “Please explain to us the story of the weeds in the field.” Mathew 13:36

  A few hours were spent working on the book yesterday. With a great deal of trepidation, I have meekly ventured into areas where Jesus is a big part of the story. I am still wrestling with adding dialog to what Jesus says but my deepest desire is anything I have Him say or think or do will be true to who He is. The book will be proof read to make sure this was achieved.
  But then, I am not writing this on my own. I have a Guide to lead me, to inspire me and help me imagine what Jesus might say in certain circumstances. I suppose this applies to all the other characters in the Lazarus story. There’s been no reluctance to have Martha and Mary converse with one another. The messenger they sent to find Jesus has ended up being a major character even though there is only a brief reference to him in the Bible. There has even been a sub-plot appear around him. (It’s hard waiting to see how this unfolds.)
  Still, Lord, I can’t seem to shake the idea that it is wrong to add dialog when it comes to Jesus. 
  It would appear there are weeds...

  Oh! Yes! Thank You for this revelation!
  There are other fiction writers who have written Jesus dialog and even God dialog, like in “The Shack”! It was one of the most powerful stories I have ever read but, if memory serves, it was highly controversial in some Christian circles.
  Hmmm…is my reluctance to “put words in Jesus’ mouth” due to religious ideology? That’s a strong possibility where the struggle is coming from…

  Okay. Lets do a Triple T.
  While I am including what Jesus is quoted as saying in the Bible as part of the story, what is being added by me does not alter God’s Word in any way, shape or form. That is as it should be.
  Using Scripture as the starting point then allowing imagination and Inspiration (the Holy Spirit) to forge a connection with Jesus is not wrong! In fact, we are encouraged to do just that. It’s a huge part of meditation practices. The only difference I see is that these meditations of mine are being written down as a work of fiction.
  Imagination is a form of time travel where being “in the moment” isn’t fiction. It’s as real as if we were actually there. If what I write enables others to join me in these travels through time to become personally involved in the Lazarus story, praise God and to His Glory! Amen!
 
  I think I am finally free of any reluctance to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit on this. I give thanks to God for imagination, for the gift of time travel.
  The weeds have been pulled without any harm to the wheat. Praise God!

  Lord, one more question (for now)…
  (Smile.)
  When Martha hears the news You have arrived in Bethany. She comes to see You. When Martha returns to tell her sister You have come, Mary leaves the house to go to You. Only, with Mary, there was a difference. Everyone who had gathered at their house to mourn followed her. They believed Mary was going to weep outside the tomb.
  Why didn’t the mourners follow Martha when she left?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...