Tuesday 27 November 2018

History and Mystery

  "Here is another illustration Jesus used: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is like a mustard seed planted in a field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but it becomes the largest of garden plants; it grows into a tree, and birds come and make nests in its branches.'" Mathew 13:31-32

  I had a wonderful weekend visiting my son and his family. Having just watched Sunday's teaching, there is much to think about.
  One of the things I like about Bruxy Cavey (the Meeting House) as a teacher is his God given gift of being able to incorporate historical understandings into the lessons. He explained that throughout scriptures, birds are used to represent an enemy. In the first century, this bird reference is indicative of the Roman empire who used the eagle as the banner of their armies and civilization.

  Basically, Jesus is calling all who believe in Him to love their neighbour, to have faith as a mustard seed so those who call us their enemy will come and be welcomed.
  I am thankful Bruxy also clarified that love isn't simply being a doormat. Sometimes love takes the form of boundaries or even distance between us as a means of holding someone else accountable for their actions. I think it's very important to understand our own hearts and motives. If holding someone else accountable is an act of vengeance, it is not of God.
  Love is helping someone else be the best person they can be.
  How?
  By being the person God has desires for all of us.
  How?
  It boils down to trusting the fundamental tenets of Christian faith. "God so loved the world..." John 3:16

  In the flood earlier this year, my Christmas decorations ended up being drenched. The paper mache Nativity Scene I place under my tree ended up a sodden mess. The loss was difficult because many hours were spent making it. Although, I am grateful there were such minimal losses!
  My daughter-in-law printed off a pattern for a knitted Nativity Scene for me. In true Sue fashion, I got stuck into it after getting home yesterday.
  The figures are about the size of an adult mitten so they don't take long to knit up although stuffing and sewing and adding details takes a bit of time. Not that getting this done is a race...smile. I am happy to have some handwork to do.
  While knitting Mary, the pattern called for arms I felt were a bit short so some extra rows were added. Then I got thinking that the pattern would make all the figures the same size even though they were different colours. I will make them different heights. The baby Jesus is the size of a thumb.
  As I knit each figure, there is ample time to reflect on each character, the role they played in the Christmas story and who they were.
  Thoughts on what skin colours I would use, what they would have been historically was part of this.
  As I hunted through my bead stash to find some brown beads suitable for Mary's eyes, it struck me that Baby Jesus would have had blue eyes! Like all babies.
  I am thankful for the pattern. It has given me a starting point. I am also thankful for the courage to stray from it (or is it rebel against?) and make it my own. No, it isn't straying or rebelling it is creativity unfolding. Praise God!

  It seems a bit of a grab bag this morning. Lord, what's the connection?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...