Friday 16 November 2018

Taking Flight


  “Listen! A farmer went out to plant some seeds. As he scattered them across his field, some seeds fell on a footpath, and the birds came and ate them.” Mathew 13:3-4

  My son sent me a photo this morning of a bird he’d never seen before. It was a Magpie. I knew they were out west because, while living in Edmonton, Alberta, they were a common sight. A bus driver told me what they were. Ha! No Google back then…now I feel old. (Smile.)
   I’ve never seen or heard of one in Ontario although Google says they are in the north. We’ve had a good deal of snow. Maybe that’s why this one is so far south. I am not sure if they migrate. It’s been a number of years since Edmonton. Now I feel really old. (Smile again.)

  While this passage in Mathew is meant to represent faith and serve as a cautionary tale, talking about Magpies brought another passage to mind. Jesus talks about His Father caring for sparrows so we shouldn’t worry about our own provisions: God would take care of us, too. That’s in Mathew as well, 10:29-31.
  It has me reflecting on how many times a “farmer” has come into my life to scatter seed when the path was barren and rocky and hard. There have been farmers come along side to help when the weeds grew tall and thick and the way through them was lost. There have been farmers come into my life when thorns scratched and tore at my heart and soul. They have tended the wounds so well all that’s left is the faintest of scars. Farmers are good at first aid. It’s part of the job of caring for God’s creatures.
 
  I never thought I’d say this ever again, given past experiences. It is very hard to say, to admit…I...want…to...be...a farmer! (AAAGH!) But, please Lord, no actual animals!
  And something wonderful has happened!
  I am laughing now because of the sheer joy in having some of the darkest days of my life be redeemed and turned into God’s calling. There is relief, and hope…and healing as I reclaim the title for His purposes.
  To God be the glory! AMEN!

  Lord, I want to be more mindful of the people around me and be able to scatter the seeds they need to thrive and grow in life and in faith.
  Give me grace and patience because it won’t always work; the flock will not always feast. Thank you that seed scattering is just the beginning. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...