Friday 18 January 2019

Prov 31 Rolling Up my Sleeves


  “Her husband is well known at the city gates, where he sits with other civic leaders.” Proverbs 31:23

  I guess this means she has chosen her spouse well or at least, her family has arranged a good man for her. As much as all the sayings in Proverbs 31 exemplify a woman of character, this speaks of a husband’s. I don’t quite understand the reference to city gates but it must be a site where the powerful and successful meet.
  Yet, there was this crippled beggar who met Jesus there. And a miracle happened.
  But is that all there is for men, that they be popular? Grrrr….

  Oh…right. Silly me! The entire book of Proverbs is a guide for living righteously, wisely, and generously. These sayings were chosen by a father for the guidance and instruction of his son. King Solomon didn’t write them all but drew from several sources including King Lemuel’s mother. She’s the one who inspired Proverbs 31. I only learned that yesterday. A woman authored the guide to ideal feminine attributes.
  Oh...right. We have Jesus.

  I think it’s high time I become more invested in the process of unlearning, of leaving behind all the corrupted “rules” regarding the treatment and status of men.  It might take a while. Many were reinforced time and again through various incidents, sources and even my own, twisted belief system. What once was “true” is so far removed from truth presented by Jesus. Although at the time, it was all I knew.
  But I know better now.
  Much better.
  Thanks to Jesus.
  It does take time to rewire the brain along these new pathways of understanding. Yes, there has been much headway in this regard. I am not starting at the beginning but rather sifting out the less obvious prejudices, judgments and ideas as they come to my attention. I will need help, Lord, to do this.
  Where shall I start?
  “Men are more valuable than women.”
  Do you know where the custom of a man opening a door for a woman came from? During the era of knights in shining armor, they would open the door and let the woman go first…here’s the clincher…in case someone was hiding behind the door waiting to murder them! Respect and courtesy had nothing to do with it!
  Smile. I can see this is going to take a while. The roots of my misunderstanding go long and deep.

  Lord, thank you for your unending grace and patience. Thank you I am willing to do this, not because You have condemned me, or because I am motivated by guilt. I want to venture into the swirling waters of these unGodly attitudes because You are my example of what loving others looks like.
  Let me forgive the women, the men, the society, the history, and the traditions that have shaped my broken belief system and have stirred the fires of distrust, prejudice and judgment. Let me be diligent and aware when un-truths that disguise themselves as truth worm their way into my speech, ideas and attitudes.  In Jesus’ most precious name, AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...