Friday 4 January 2019

An Exploration Begins


    “Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is more precious than rubies.” Proverbs 3:10

    A while back, I heard someone say in passing about having been blessed by a friend declaring she was a Proverbs 31 woman. I have a wooden plaque bearing a passage from Chapter 31 hanging on my bedroom wall so it struck me as a good idea to further investigate what it’s all about. I’ll be doing this over the next several posts.

  We don’t hear much about virtue anymore. Google defines it as behavior showing high moral standards. Google offers synonyms like goodness, righteousness, morality, integrity, dignity, honor, decency, respectability, nobility, worthiness and purity. Whew! That’s quite a list! I suppose it’s the feminine reflection of chivalry. That’s another concept that has sadly gone by the wayside.
  This is Old Testament teaching but that does not eradicate the value of the lesson….OH!!...is it possible this could be a goal to aim for?
  Yet, Jesus adds much to the idea of virtue because it is expanded to reach far beyond our inner selves. It’s asking us to live beyond what life and experience has taught us. We are called to live beyond mere morality. We are called to live through the heart of God.

  Let those of us without sin cast the first stone.

  There’s another aspect that the life of Jesus brought into being. A woman doesn’t have to be virtuous and capable to be more precious than rubies. Jesus showed our worth to be that of His life. Rubies are no more than cut glass in comparison.
  So even though I often fall short of virtue and the rest of the list or when I make mistakes, Jesus is alongside to encourage me to do better. Jesus makes me want to do better.
  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...