Wednesday 16 January 2019

Prov 31 To Serve


“She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes.” Proverbs 31:21

  I am going to add the New King James translation of this passage because it has some interesting differences.

   “She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household is clothed with scarlet.” Proverbs 31:21

  What? Snow in the Mediterranean? Apparently it happens, although it’s a rare event of once every hundred years or so. (Thanks Google.)  But I have to admit winter cold is a matter of perspective. Winter in Jamaica is downright tropical for those of us visiting from up north. The locals are dressed in winter coats and hats while we parade around in bathing suits. Probably the summer heat would overwhelm us. Maybe it’s the same in the Mediterranean although I don’t think it gets as hot as Jamaica.
  Or maybe this isn’t about being literally prepared for the weather... Is it more along the lines of women being called to see a need and fill a need? Yesterday’s verse was a reflection of the same concept in helping the poor. Or is this a feminine attribute? One that God built into our DNA?
  To serve.
  Taken from Adam’s side, we were made to be a mate, a helper, for him. I am still going to check out the verses about how husbands and wives are called to treat each other once this study is done.

  Servitude is serving done out of fear.
  Service is done with a willing heart and an eagerness to bless those around us.

  So the Proverbs woman not only makes the thread, the yarn, and the woven cloth, she also makes scarlet, warm clothing; a colour that is second only to purple in terms of value.
  The Proverbs woman bestows the gift of worth on those in her household and to everyone she comes in contact with. Hmmm...I had never really thought about Eve's motivation in sharing the apple with Adam however misguided her actions were. 

  Winter doesn’t have to be a literal season either. It could be a spiritual one or related to age. It could be a season of sorrow or loss. Winter is also a time of rest, the season needed between planting times, growing times, and harvest times.
 
  Lord, Your service to humanity has clothed all of us in scarlet, the priceless covering of Your blood.
  I know there are times I am not a good servant because there’s resentment when a need arises outside my circle of comfort. I hesitate to serve because I am afraid I am taking on too much. I am deeply afraid of ending up in the Black River, the dire season of overwhelm, sickness and missing days. Teach me to let my “no” be no and my “yes” be yes. Set me free of the guilt that often accompanies a "no".
  I am also afraid of getting lost in the doing. I am afraid of being swallowed up and losing the very fragile sense of worth and identity that has slowly been infused through Your heart and Your Word. Show me how the delight in being is not separate from being a woman who serves. Teach me to embrace this part of my feminine nature. Teach me to be Your servant in all I do and say.
  Thank You, Lord, for wiring us women with such an incredibly tangible way of knowing You, the greatest Servant in the universe (even if our generosity is but a fraction of Yours). When we disobeyed Your commands and ate the apple from the Tree of Knowledge, You didn’t abandon us. You clothed us to cover our nakedness then served all of humanity by planning for the birth and sacrifice of Your Son. For that I am eternally grateful. AMEN!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...