Thursday 24 January 2019

Prov 31 Old into New


  “Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: ‘There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all.’” Proverbs 31:28-29

  Virtue is behaviour showing high moral standards. There is a long list of virtue’s synonyms such as: goodness, righteousness, morality, uprightness, integrity, dignity, honesty, honour, decency, respectability, nobility, worthiness, trustworthiness, purity and more. (Thanks, Google.) I could almost do a blog post about each one!
  I’d like to think I’ve mastered them all (smile). It’s a good thing humility isn’t on this list which raises another smile because that’s being silly. To have all these attributes of virtue is to embrace humility because, as a New Testament woman, I both need and have Jesus to teach me and help me attain such high moral standards.
  I like that idea…a New Testament woman. 
  Morality is possible because I have known grace. As much as I have been hurt by others, I have also doled out my own share of hurting. There are times I have not been noble or decent or good. It’s a humbling exercise to admit it, to confess these things before God yet it is a healing one, too.
  To know and to accept the forgiveness of God does something within our hearts that is beyond words. 

  Is forgiveness virtue in action? I wonder…

  Is this list of virtue synonyms a revelation of Jesus’ identity? Is Jesus the embodiment of perfect virtue?
  Oh, yes!
  And more than anything I want to emulate Him. I want to be the New Testament woman He calls me to be. I want to be worthy of being His bride because nothing, nothing, would please me more than hearing His praise.
 
 
 
  PS: In light of everything that has been explored in Proverbs 31, isn’t it interesting that “industrious” isn’t on the list of virtue synonyms?

2 comments:

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...