Tuesday 15 January 2019

Prov 31. On My Knees, I Pray


  “She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy.” Proverbs 31:20

  A cup of humility came my way this morning before I’d even poured a coffee. Here am I, sitting in my kitchen, looking at God’s Word with a critical eye, one that has been formed by trauma, abuse, neglect, and prejudice. Perhaps it would be best to regard this critical eye as having been formed by broken, imperfect, human attempts at being loved and being loving...
  I have been using these passages in Proverbs to affirm the validity of my own opinions. I have been using these passages to reinforce my prejudice towards men, seeing as they were written by a man; seeing as my history with men has not been good, to say the least.
  I have maligned the author and tried to discredit King Solomon, one of God’s chosen, simply on the basis of his maleness.
  I have been reading these verses with the deepest resentment imaginable and have ended up finding exactly what I was looking for: proof that I am right about men and their attitudes towards women. It’s right there in black and white. (Once again, a generalization slams shut the door to possibilities.)
  “It’s just not fair!” Bitterness has erupted, leaving an ugly taste of tinfoil in my mouth.
  Why the bitterness? Is it because I am using a personal history as tacit permission to keep on trucking down the familiar road of hate? Am I using trauma to excuse me from having to change? Or worse, to not have to forgive?
  It is so much easier to lay blame…but, oh Lord, the pride in me!

  (A long pause.)

  Lord, I am poor and needy this morning. Forgive me for doing what so many others have done: taken Your Word and twisted it to fulfill and validate a personal agenda. Thank You for the cup of humility. It’s a wonderful thing that my own subconscious, beneath the surface, agenda is no longer hidden.
  Being aware is the way to new life.
  And I know these judgments and prejudices have kept me apart from You and kept me apart from living in the richness and fullness of God. So, thank You, Lord, for this is a first step among many first steps.

  This wasn’t really an exploration of this passage…hmmm…or maybe it is. Maybe it’s a revelation about the mother heart of God.
  Thank You, Abba Father, that despite my sin, my weakness, my brokenness, Your forgiving arms are always open because right now, I could use a hug.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...