Wednesday 23 January 2019

Prov 31 When?


    “When she speaks her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness.” Proverbs 31:26

    As much as yesterday’s post was about the future, I firmly believe most of a life lived with Jesus is about the here and now; about being present with God in all things. 
  Or maybe this is about the future, too. I am not always kind even though I try. Is it possible that envisioning a future, kinder self could set things in motion towards that end? Where are the areas that could use some refining?
  Smile. The envisioning is for my benefit. God already knows all things about me! It’s a prayer, really; an admission of brokenness and an invitation for grace to heal the same. Why am I not being kind?

  All this was written rather slowly and thoughtfully because I want to be careful with my words. It’s so easy to get on the self-hate wagon, to feel that everything inside is flawed. I’ll call this devil territory because it serves his purpose to keep us feeling unloved and unlovable. Apart. This is so NOT true!
  What is true is our identity has to be one of the most fluid aspects of our humanity. Yes, we are blessed with core attributes that shape our perspectives, our ideals and actions. I think, I feel, that the fluidity is the ability to grow far beyond labels of definition or those defining experiences that have the ability to twist truth. It’s about embracing our otherness.
  I write about them a lot. Labels I mean. They have a way of stirring up resentment. I will never be a stereotypical woman who shops for the sheer pleasure of shopping. It’s not fun. It never has been. But give me a hardware store...(Smile.)
  Ah, yes. Stereotypes. Nasty things.
  How many of us actually fit into those boxes? How many of us try to fit someone else into our own stereotypical ideas? I do. Regularly. They can be sneaky but education, new experiences, and understanding have a way of breaking the molds.
  So does silence. So does prayer.

  There’s a key word in this passage, “When.”
  It’s an encouragement to be thoughtful, mindful, of the words we speak. It’s a laying down of our intentions or even the well meant desire to fix or find solutions. (Smile.) I guess my struggles aren’t necessarily what others struggle with. Praise God!
  “When,” is an invitation to wait upon the Lord so that the heart of God becomes the source of our words and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...