Tuesday 30 October 2018

The Vine


  “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.”  John 15:5 NKJV

  It’s an arid place where Jesus wandered and taught. Orchards and vineyards would have only grown where there was a nearby source of water. Flood plains surrounding the rivers, underground aquifers or oasis would have been the place to live, to be able to grow a variety of foods and fruit.
  Donkeys, sheep, and particularly goats, are able to make do with minimal, poor quality fodder. There must have been enough for them in the stony hills and rocky valleys or we wouldn’t hear so much about them in Scriptures. A mouthful here, a mouthful there: subsistence existence.

  (Those last two words gave me much to think about for a long while.)

  If I miss church or miss going to home church mid week; if I am not on worship team and having to practice a Friday night. Even if I have to skip blogging for a few days, I feel as though I am starving. I feel disconnected from God, my community, and the peace these bring into my life.
  A subsistence existence isn’t good enough.
  I believe this is what Jesus is talking about. Abiding in Him, living in partnership with Him, being with Him is being part of a vine that thrives in an eternal, never empty watershed.
 
  Sunday blessed me with another picture that helped me understand this idea. A reclining figure is resting in a strong nest made of vines. They also lovingly and tenderly wrap the figure without constricting or choking it. The vines’ sole purpose is to keep the person safely in the nest yet they give the figure freedom to leave if it should so desire. Even stronger vines, with large, lush leaves, arch overhead to protect this treasure from passing storms or scorching heat.
 
  Jesus calls us His branches. I am more than happy to be a tendril, one of those slender, green curly things that hold up the branches.  
  Thank You, Lord, for the tendrils that enable me to be enveloped by Your love. 
  Like seeing the blog stats this morning and finding I'd reached 97,000 hits exactly. Every one is a tendril that encourages me to keep sharing. Then there's our worship team leader, our pastor who encourage us in our roles. There's friends of faith and friends without. My mom. My children. Mustn't forget all the people who work in jobs that keep food in my pantry, gas in my car, technology running...an endless list. A global list. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...