Thursday 25 October 2018

Let it Flow.


  “On the last day, the climax of the festival, Jesus stood and shouted to the crowd, ‘Anyone who is thirsty may come to me! Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, “Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.”’ (When he said, “living water,” he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him. But the Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus had not yet entered into his glory.)” John 7:37-39

  I know the “rivers of living water” have been specifically designated as being representative of the Holy Spirit in this passage but for me it is also a wonderful metaphor for everything about Jesus, His life and His message.

  One of our home church questions was, “Have you ever known someone who had “rivers of living water” flowing out of them to others around them?” Last night Mother Theresa, Max Lucado, Billy Graham and several other famous persons were mentioned.
  I doubt this gift is reserved only for the famous. This gift is not necessarily the path to fame either.

  To have rivers of living water flowing from my heart is something I attain to. More than anything I want to be a life bringer to those people whose paths intersect my own. Through Jesus and with the help of my eternal companion, the Holy Spirit, I want to be able to offer the hope that is Jesus to the hopeless, the Peace beyond all understanding to the troubled and the greatest Love in all of history to the abandoned. (Ask and you will receive.)
  Lord, I need patience for the drivers who insist on tailgating at night, their headlights blindingly bright in my rear view mirror. That’s been happening a lot lately. (Smile.) I am a work in progress.
   My river doesn’t have to be huge or grandiose or even one of the Seven Wonders of the World. I am happy to be a trickle of a stream just big enough to make some small difference.

  I want to give thanks this morning because the blog has made it easy for me to incorporate the practice of daily meditation. I also want to give thanks because having a Scriptural focus starting my day has overflowed. This is different because the posts that were closed out with a Bible passage caused me to reflect only on what I had written. It's much better this way because when my mind is still, or my hands busy with a mundane task, I find myself musing on God's word instead.
  It serves as a reminder that Christ, of the Living Water, always flows within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...