Saturday 20 October 2018

God is Good!

   "'Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Mathew 11:28-30 King James version

  Before I begin exploring the part about finding rest unto (it's why it's highlighted this morning) our soul, I want to acknowledge and give thanks to God. In meditating on a passage over the course of several days, chapter and verse becomes cemented into my mind. A short while ago I had mentioned my inability to do just that. So, here we are, one has been memorized. It's a start!
  Part of me realizes it could take a year to work through this passage and there would still be much to learn, to discover. Every passage in the Bible could be broken down word by word and explored!
  I give thanks the Lord grants fresh inspiration every time a Bible passage is re-read. Thank You, Lord, for making Your word alive and pertinent to every person's life throughout the ages.

  Today started with looking up the word, unto. It's an archaic word for "to".
  In thinking about this, "To" implies a journey to a destination. Hmmm...It could be a mark of measurement or direction ie filled to the brim.
  Hmmm, again...No...that example implies a journey, a process, as well. Something is filled (the process) to (direction) the brim (final destination).

  Let's go with it.
  We mortal beings are more than a soul. There's our physical bodies consisting of a skeletal framework, veins, arteries, muscles and tendons. We have several major organs like our brain and a heart.
  Then there's our spirit. It's an intangible part of us, the feeling part. Yet our feelings can create a physical reaction like tears of joy or sorrow. Nothing about emotions is simple...the understatement of the year! (Smile.)
  The other intangible aspect of our being is our soul, the fundamental essence of who we are; who God designed us to be. This can get lost but it can be found when we open our mind to Jesus.
  So, when Jesus says He will give us rest unto our souls, is He implying that every other aspect of our  humanity will find rest as well? Is He saying He will give us rest from the top of our head to the tips of our toes and everywhere in between? Is He saying that His rest will fill us to the brim?

  Experience has shown me, "Yes!" Praise God!
  I am already on the journey unto a final destination: rest.
  Along the way. I will celebrate the moments when brief glimmers of Jesus's all encompassing rest manifests itself in my life, my body and my soul. I can give thanks that this happens more and more over time as I allow Him to continue to work in my life.
  True rest is coming; the rest that is a peace beyond all understanding.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...