Thursday 11 October 2018

Limbic System

  Every once in a while, something comes at me from several directions. This time, the limbic system was mentioned in a book I am reading. Then it was mentioned on a documentary. The last was through a friend's email.
  It's like having Jesus tell me to stand up and pay attention! So I will.

  First of all, it is made up of several parts of the brain. Most of which I can't spell. It contains the memory, emotion, motivational and olfactory areas. So that explains why an aroma can be such a huge memory trigger. It's closely connected.
  I need to do some more research out of sheer curiosity.
  It also has something to do with learning quite a while ago that emotional trauma causes brain damage. It might help me understand why I get so anxious at times or why my fight/flight response gets running on overdrive. That's basically what anxiety is.
  There has to be a physiological piece to this I haven't considered.
  I used the analogy to describe anxiety that it's like being nibbled to death by mice. It's a gruesome analogy but, sometimes, every little day to day task can be like a mouse bite. Before I know it, there a whole flock of mice nibbling away and the anxiety explodes.
  I'd like to know why this doesn't happen all the time. What is the difference when there isn't any nibbling yet the day to day hasn't changed? What else is influencing my coping abilities or lack thereof?
  Perhaps in the knowing, I will find healing. Or at least, patience for my seeming inability to control the mouse flock when they decide to show up en masse. Impatience only adds more mice.
  What I need is a better mouse trap.

  Lord, thank You for inspiring me to look at things from a different direction. AMEN!

  ""Can anyone hide from me in a secret place? Am I not everywhere in all the heavens and earth?" says the Lord." Jeremiah 23:24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...