Wednesday 24 October 2018

For God So Loved the World


  “On the last day, the climax of the festival, Jesus stood and shouted to the crowds, “Anyone who is thirsty may come to me! Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’” (When he said, “living water,” he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him. But the Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus had not yet entered into glory.)” John 7:37-39 JCB

  The climax of the Festival of Shelters was when a Pharisee would pour water from the sacred pool over the sacrificial altar. This was done in thanksgiving for God’s provision of water during the forty years the Hebrews, led by Moses, wandered in the wilderness.
  I keep reflecting on the Hebrew use of blood, of animal sacrifice, to atone for sin. Animals without blemish, ranging from doves to cattle according to the Law, were slaughtered. The blood was carefully collected then poured over the altar. Only then was a person considered purified. But it didn’t last. Sacrifices had to be made constantly simply because of it was impossible for anyone to abide by all the Laws given to Moses.
  Except Jesus.
  Pure and unblemished was the Lamb.
  “He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and a new life through the Holy Spirit.” Titus 3:5
  The altar at the temple must have been a gruesome sight…all that blood. I suppose growing up with this practice would have meant it was a normal sight, mundane, just one of those things: the familiar morphing into the unseen, the unremarkable.

  Jesus stood up and shouted. I have always imagined Him to be a quiet man. Gentle and lowly He calls Himself. To see Him leap to His feet and shout would have been remarkable. But then, His message is remarkable.
  There is nothing I can do to atone for my sins. Dealing with the consequences of free choice isn’t the same as atonement. I can repent when I stray because forgiveness is freely given. It’s that easy. No animals required.
  I can strive to make better choices, to turn my back on sin. I can give thanks I have the Holy Spirit to guide me into those better choices.
  I ask You, Lord, to continually remind me of Your presence in my life. Sometimes the gift of faith, of God’s Holy Spirit, becomes an unremarkable, taken-for-granted, aspect that gets lost in the day to day grind.
  That’s when I need You, Jesus, the most. I need You to stand and shout, “Here I am!”
  These things I pray in Jesus’ name. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...