Friday 19 October 2018

A-musing

  "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." Mathew 11:28-30

  Just as yesterday's post wrapped up, a TV ad came to mind. The featured item probably has its own show on the shopping channel because it's one of those long, annoying ads that shout for at least three minutes about how I can't live without whatever it is they are selling. Thank you Lord for the mute button!
  It ends with the now familiar tag line, "Not only can I get one for three equal payments of $19.99, but if I act quickly, I can get another for free! That's two for the price of one! This offer will not last!"
  "Just pay extra shipping and handling," is almost whispered at the very end...verbal fine print.
  Yah. The adman's spiel.
  "Operators are standing by."
  Oh! I'd better call them right away! The poor, lonely dears with nothing better to do but look forward to my call. (Smile.)

  In keeping with my musings on the idea of Jesus's burden being light, the ad is for a flashlight,. Not an ordinary flashlight, mind you. This even-better-than-military-grade invention can be submerged under water for hours, frozen in a block of ice, baked, (maybe not) and its brilliant LED lamp still functions. Or so the ad claims.
  It can even survive being driven over by a tank! Although it's a safe bet the flashlight was carefully placed on soft ground but the visual was impressive as a creative marketing ploy.
  It doesn't matter if everything they claim is true because, as I thought about the ad, I realized I want to be like this flashlight. I want to be able to handle all the stresses of life without my light dimming. Even when it feels like a bulldozer or tank has gone rampant. That's a fine metaphor for anxiety!
  You see, Jesus is the soft ground beneath me. Faith is my battery. And nothing, nothing, will ever take that away or lessen its power.

  Lord, there are times when I feel apart from You. There are times when darkness creeps in. In those moments, You still answer prayers. You bring Your light into the shadows to augment my flickering, faded light. Even when I don't know I have come to You with whatever burdens my soul until I am free. Thank You for that. AMEN!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...