Wednesday 10 October 2018

Making a Start

  To embark on journey, the first step must be taken.
  So I've stepped and begun exploring the Lazarus story through creative writing. As I read through the Scriptures containing the story for inspiration, something came up that I hadn't noticed before. Jesus gets angry.
  The only other time I remember Jesus's anger being made note of is when He overturned the money-changers' tables in the Temple. The reason is clear. In fact, Jesus clearly tells us why He is angry.
  I may have heard some mention of Jesus's anger in a vaguely remembered sermon on Lazarus but having it brought to my attention, or should I say, in paying more attention to the story, it's in my face. It has stirred up a gazillion questions because the reason isn't so clear.
  It has left me wondering why Jesus grew angry and why He stayed angry. I also have to ponder about why He wept even though this short verse has been crucial to my own journey. Reading about Jesus weeping gave me permission to begin the grieving process that has brought so much freedom to my life. If the Son of God can cry, so could I.

  While I am taking some creative license with the story, to presume to write Christ's perspective is not an area I plan on delving into. This doesn't mean I can't ask questions. It would help to understand better because the story is being creatively written from Lazarus's perspective. There's Martha and Mary's perspective and I am leaning towards placing myself in the crowd around the tomb. Actually, that is a key part of the creative story.
  What would it have been like to witness Christ's anger? His tears? Would I, as a witness, have understood why?
  A writer can only write about what they know.
  Lord, I want to know. I would like some insight into what made Your Son angry. Grant me the knowledge. Grant me the wisdom to see Your love through Jesus's anger.

  So what do I know about anger? It can be rooted in love. The best example is when a child runs into the street and her mother gets angry with her. The mother was afraid her child might have been hurt, or worse. But that is only one facet of the complexities of anger.
  Maybe that's another starting point: understanding the roots of anger because anger is a secondary emotion, not a primary one.
  Hmmm, it would appear journeys have multiple starting points. Thank You, Lord, for guiding me to the right ones and for having everything come together. AMEN!

  "When Jesus saw her weeping and saw the other people wailing with her, a deep anger welled up within him, and he was deeply troubled." John 11:33
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...