Saturday 10 June 2023

Body Talk

   "Remove all impurities from silver, and the sterling will be ready for the silversmith." Proverbs 25:4

  Many years ago I did a  months long program, CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy.) We were given a sheet with several columns. The first one provided space to write down a negative thought about ourselves or our life. The next column was to make a decision about whether or not it was true. There were a couple more columns in there but I forget exactly what they were. The last column was to write a truth that debunked the first statement.
  CBT is an effective method for brain retraining. It is used to derail old pathways that tear us down and replace them with new, positive and affirming ones. It takes time because one lie is often reinforced over and over again through various life experiences. Oh, that was what the other columns were for, to note similar events or comments reinforcing the first lie. 
  I firmly believe that when we believe a lie, we can't help but look for things that fall in line with our understanding. Or perhaps it is our negative understanding that shapes how the world interacts with us!
  I wasn't well when during this program and had a hard time working through the columns. I did walk away with the understanding that I need to be a good and kind parent to myself. I also knew I could lean into my faith to help me embrace God's truths about everything. He hasn't let me down yet.

  Gina Livy had a phycologist on a couple of weeks ago who simplified CBT into three steps: capture, cancel, correct. I like this version of CBT, it's far less cumbersome. Or maybe it's because I am in a far better place to do the work.
  The program has me thinking about my attitudes towards my body and how it works. (It's a marvelous creation by the way!)

  Marilyn Monroe was a small but curvaceous woman, idolized for her beauty yet some people in the movie industry called her "plump." Then came the model Twiggy in the 60's whose bone baring skinny was the new beautiful. Her legacy has brutalized women for generations. Anorexia and bulimia were born.
  I know nothing else about these women. It's like their identity stopped at their skin. 
  The Dove "Love Yourself" campaign focuses on loving how you look even if you are overweight or have had a mastectomy. It would seem "love worthy" is, once again, directly linked to appearance.
  This little blog is tackling a huge issue in the media that has been compounded by social media platforms: the value of people based on appearance. I admit I join the ranks on a regular basis as a result of the culture I was raised in.
  Capture: Mob mentality is a source of truth.
  Cancel: I am not the Mob.
  Correct: Mob mentality is not God's truth about His creations!

  So where is this heading?
  The Gina program has me growing comfortable with how my body works. The walls of shame are crumbling. God has been bringing many seemingly unrelated incidents to mind that helped build the walls in the first place.
  There's a lot of stuff that comes out of this body that has been the biggest source of shame. Ignorance about the intricate and marvelous ways my body does these "nasty" things compounded the shame. It started early in my life, the lie was fed by experiences, and by my own inner critic who joined the mob by reinforcing the only truth I knew. 
  Dis-gust-ing!! 
  Therefore, I am disgusting. That's another capture by the way and the voice of Cricket, the child I once was. Oh, honey, I am so sorry!
  Cricket, we're not disgusting. 

  Yes, sometimes I am smelly, stinky, burpy, snot nosed, and sweaty (thankfully not all at the same time) but hey, without burping, I would explode. Burps signal I've had enough to eat. A sign unrecognized until now. Learning to hear what my body has to say is of the utmost importance when trying to lose weight!
  And it's finally talking. Or maybe I am finally listening and not running away. Although, running away from my body when it has to take me there is utterly impossible. LOL.

  My body, this temple of the Holy Spirit has a voice worth listening to. A body whose processes of refining the nutrients it needs is accomplished by getting rid of impurities. 
  If my body decides to speak via the resounding sound of trumpets it is doing what it was designed to do. It is letting me know everything is just dandy!
  Oh, dear, I am laughing so hard, the tears are rolling down my face!
  Lord, thank You for keeping it real and for the ability to laugh at what once was shameful and embarrassing! You did say I can take everything to You!
  AMEN!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...