Monday 29 May 2023

Signs and Wonder

 "Surely life is more than food, the body more than clothes. Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow and reap and store in barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. You are worth more than the birds!" Matthew 6:15-26 

  The chapter is right but the verse numbers might be wrong. I am using a different Bible where only the lines are numbered. It was at work. I couldn't throw it out so it came home with me. I've never been able to throw out a Bible because it doesn't sit right to callously toss God's Word into the recycling bin. It's the New English Bible, printed in 1966, and reads like like The Message does. Within its pages, a small four leaf clover marked out the pages of Sunday's teaching.
  I wonder if this is a sign . (Smile.) I don't have to wonder. What are the odds of the previous owner of this Good Book finding a four leafed clover and leaving it for me to find? Of all the plants in the world, it is the one thing that has tremendous spiritual significance in my life: a symbol of God's promise that He will restore all that the locusts have eaten. 
  And He is. Every day.

  He has given me happiness, the kind that settles into your heart and wraps your soul in peace. 
  Even though yesterday was one of my anxious days, I made some wise choices and came home to play in the dirt. Bedtime came with a sense of accomplishment and hope for the new tomato plants and veggie seeds tucked safely into the soil.
  Even though birds don't plant gardens, cleaning out my decorative pond and filling it with fresh water brings them to drink and bathe. As I watered the garden last night, a male ruby throated hummingbird took advantage of the gentle mist sprayed just for him. He hovered in the cool spray, enjoying the shower and even paused to preen within arms reach. I couldn't help but smile at this little jewel of a bird being so bold.
  For as long as I can remember, the little things are what have brightened my day even if it was only for a few moments.

  I gaze in wonder at God's creativity.
  I take time to watch a flower dancing in the sudden breeze that cooled my sunbaked shoulders.
  I am delighted a baby toad took up residence amongst the newly transplanted herbs.
  I pause to look with wonder at everything around me and give thanks to a God who made such a wonderful world.
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...