Tuesday 16 May 2023

Temptation-Test to do Good

   "People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4

  We've had a stretch of warm, dry weather so the garden has called. Mostly it's saying, "Weed Me!" 
  One of my garden boxes was starting to come apart at the corners. It's only plastic so the weight of the earth is too much for it. I invested in some cedar boards and built one to replace it and will gradually replace the other one with cedar. It will last a long, long time.
  It is surprising how much dirt is in a four foot square that is only 18 inches tall. My muscles, unused to such labour, were very tender last night and this morning.
  It felt good to be outside all the same. 

  I was very careful to make sure enough water was being swallowed to compensate for the sweat equity put into my labors. Some glassfuls had added salt, others an organic mineral supplement to help quench my thirst. Both of these additives have been beneficial, even on non-sweaty days. Since processed, salt filled foods are off the menu, adding salt to my diet is absolutely necessary!
  The recommendation is 2.7-3.5 litres of water a day. Science backs this amount up. If you are tall or overweight or working in a hot garden, the number needs to be higher. On average, I've been consuming 4.3 L. When I first started the program, it was all I could do to get in the minimum but as my body has gotten used to it, drinking more isn't an issue. Coffee counts towards this total, so do soups and the like. It's just better if the majority of the fluid intake is good ole fashioned water.
  I am thankful to have a well that provides great water with none of the chemical additives needed for towns or cities. I am thankful to live in a country where there is enough so my tap never runs dry.
  There have been several non-scale victories (as Gina calls them) because of being so diligent about it. My skin feels better, my eyes aren't as dry, food cravings aka temptations are nearly non-existent. Although, I did have a craving for chips last night. Despite being careful to add in salt, my body was telling me I needed more. So I had 4. Not a make or break amount but that's all that was needed to take care of business. The craving vanished.
  This week we are being encouraged to listen to what our body is telling us: when it's full, when it wants more, and even listening to what it is telling us to eat for dinner! This time temptation is a test to do what is good and right. The menu for tonight is hamburgers sans buns but still dressed to the nines with lots of other goodies like avocado and ripe tomatoes. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
  Food has never tasted so good. I want veggies like I've never wanted them before except peas. I still don't like them. Salad only requires a minimal amount of dressing, if any. Korean cabbage has become a mainstay. It's considerably milder in flavour and more tender than head cabbage. Asparagus picked at the side of the road has been a great addition to morning eggs. Collard greens are another new addition to the menu. I dry them in the oven and crumble them in with the eggs, too.
  So, here I am, at the beginning of week three, amazed that veggies tempt me. Amazed that 4 chips were all I wanted. Amazed that sweet treats hold zero appeal. 
  I really believe this is how God intended us to eat. Science is just catching on to His design plans. 
   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...