Tuesday 25 June 2019

More Than Manners


  “One of them, (a man with leprosy) when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, “Praise God!” He fell to the ground at Jesus’ feet, thanking him for what he had done.”

    Please and thank you were drilled into my child’s brain right from the get-go. Being passed the salt required a “thank you”. Wanting the salt meant saying, “please.” It became habitual…so ingrained that by the time I was an adult, even the dogs were treated with such high regard! Then, of course, I would laugh at myself for doing so.
  Was there an understanding as to why this was so necessary? Nope. It was simply one of life’s rules about how to conduct yourself right along with not picking your nose in public. (Smile.)
  I am thankful for these early lessons all the same because these two words have remained a fundamental part of my vocabulary. The difference is I now realize just how important they are.
  They are a gift to give my fellow humans. Saying please and thank you to them are words that pour worth into their lives. It’s saying, “I see you and you have blessed me by doing _________. You have honoured me by answering my ask.” In a society that finds people feeling more and more disconnected this is especially important. Maybe a smile, a please and a thank you are the most love they get all day.
  And there is something reciprocal about such exchanges. Our own smile releases a whack of good brain chemicals that make us feel good. It’s a win-win situation.
  I confess to not always being so nice. Being busy, distracted, and overwhelmed contributes to me not seeing the “invisible” people behind the cash register or the coffee counter. When I have caught myself being this way, I often apologize for my abruptness. (Saying “sorry” is a whole other post topic.)
  The childhood foundational teaching has become a foundational aspect of my faith. These two words are an expression of humility and wonder and awe because by saying them, it acknowledges and celebrates the presence of God in my life. Sometimes it’s my heart that does the speaking all by itself in those moments when feelings of gratitude are so big it hurts and mere words fail me.
  That’s the best kind of all.
  Lastly, these two words are a huge part of my prayer life. I regularly give thanks for what God has done but thanking God for something that has not happened is a  declaration of what changes I would like to see happen. It confesses an awareness that there are aspects of my life which don’t reflect who I want to be as a follower of Jesus. Being thankful for what is yet to come unlocks my heart and opens my soul to letting go and letting in.
  These prayers aren’t demands! They are words of surrender laid out before the Author and Finisher of my faith. They are expressions of hope and humility because I know God is more than able to work the changes needed.
  And He does, far and beyond what I could ever have imagined or asked for.
 
  Lord, thank You for my mom’s utter determination to raise polite children.  (Smile.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...