Tuesday 18 June 2019

The Joy of it All


  Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.” John 6:29

  This ties in with yesterday’s post about demands and commands and the stark difference between them.
  God gave the Hebrew people pages worth of instructions about how to live (The Ten Commandments), eat (Kosher laws), worship (how to build God’s temple), and make offerings (only unblemished male animals and first fruits). A quick glance through the Old Testament reveals there are many more instructions for life as a Jewish person. It took a lot of work to live according to these instructions.
  I have to wonder if God set up religion just so it would fail right into the arms of Jesus.
 
  Why would believing Jesus has been sent by God be considered work especially since such belief is given to us by God?
  Is this because God gives us this re-birthday gift but we need to unwrap it?
  There is much in my life that has appeared because of faith. The blog/studying God’s Word is one aspect. Some might call it a daily devotional. Playing on the worship team and making time to practice is another. Attending church on a Sunday and small group on a Wednesday is important to me as well. None of this has been forced on me. I do these things because I have chosen to take advantage of opportunities…although (and I have shared this before)I did get a very clear sense that God was adamant I join the worship team, much to my dismay at the time. This was waaay outside my comfort zone.
  (I probably keep sharing the worship team story because I am amazed at how it has transformed my life and how it continues to be transforming!)
  A rather irreverent chuckle escaped here because I am in good company with this sort of discomfort. Moses was totally uncomfortable with what God asked of him, too! It’s more of a point that he chose to obey the great I AM although not always. He was human after all.
  But do I consider my involvement with different faith practices to be work? Not one bit. Are they acts of discipline? Yup. But these disciplines are also the fruits of an insatiable curiosity and a love of puzzle solving. They are the fruits of my burning desire to understand the “why” of everything. They are the fruits of years of music lessons and band playing. They are the fruits of a growing understanding that faith in Jesus is not a solo act but one of community and relationships.
  There has been a harvest of joy in all of it because God planted the seeds. From my gardening experience, seed planting and getting them to grow is the hardest work of all.
  (Smile.)
  A seed won’t grow if we keep digging it up to see if it has sprouted.
  Umm…Lord? Maybe we need to work on patience...smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...