Friday 21 June 2019

Avian Attitude


“Be still and know that I am God!” Psalm 46:10

  There is a Mourning Dove sitting on a nest in the pine trees beside the patio in my back yard. It is fairly low to the ground so I’ve been able to watch her easily. The nest was built like lettuce in a sandwich; where two thick, lush branches almost touch.  The nest itself is a motley collection of sticks and roots with very little structure. They have simply been piled together to create a rough platform no bigger than the bird herself.
  The pine boughs gives her plenty of shelter from the rain and camouflage from any egg hungry birds or raccoons. She’s been sitting on the eggs for a while so it shouldn’t be long before babies show up.
  I wonder if she enjoys listening to the little waterfall that burbles into the pond as much as I do. Does it help pass the time?
  I am also impressed by the stoic patience such labour requires. The sole focus of her existence is caring for the precious eggs. Nothing interferes with that purpose, not even me working in the garden beneath her.
  What fascinates me the most is her stillness, her focus on simply being.
   Yet, the nest was built and the eggs were laid in precise alignment with her purpose: to make more Mourning Doves, her legacy.
  I bet, when she started, she wasn’t thinking about the labour ahead or the long wait.
  If anything, it’s a lesson I could well use in my own life.

  Be still.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...