Wednesday 12 June 2019

Understanding Religion


  “Jesus told the servants, ‘Fill the jars with water.’ When the jars had been filled, he said, ‘Now dip some out and take it to the master of ceremonies.’ So the servants followed his instructions.” John 2:7-8

  The master of ceremonies marveled at the quality of the wine not knowing where it had come from but the servants did. Those who were least in the household were the first to witness a miracle, a sign of Jesus’ divinity. It is interesting to realize they also played a key role. Jesus involved these lowly servants by asking them to fill the jars with water.
  This first sign not only challenged the religious practices of the day because the Holy jars were used to hold water for Jewish ceremonial hand washing. It also was a foreshadowing of The Last Supper where Jesus would offer wine to be taken in remembrance of Him. Finally, it truly defines Jesus’ purpose to not only save us but to involve us in the process.
  Yesterday’s post was another answer to prayer because I have been wrestling with trying to wrap my head around religion. There was plenty of time to mull over something that came out in yesterday’s post that helped me to define what can be wrong about it and why Jesus was so hard on the Pharisees.

  Religion is dangerous when it usurps the truth found within its own teachings for the sake of preserving or expanding its own existence, traditions, rules or rituals. (Thank You, Lord, for clarifying this idea.)
  Let me think for a minute…
  This has a universal application to many religions not just Christianity but since I am a follower of Jesus, I will refrain from applying this to the religions I know nothing about. I also want to be very careful here because it would be very easy to condemn others of various faith practices simply because they adhere to those practices. It would be presumptuous of me to assume I know what lay in their heart or to make assumptions about the reasons they follow various faith practices.
   Condemnation is not love but it is, sadly, a key component for why so many have died throughout the history of the church.
  I pray God can forgive us, forgive me, for the times we, I, have condemned and persecuted another’s beliefs. I may have never drawn a sword against them but words are a terrible weapon.
 
  For the time being, I think it is far more important to give thanks for the diversity within Christian culture and especially for living in a country where we are not persecuted for our faith.  I give thanks, as well, for the journey that led me to the Anabaptists where I am challenged, stretched and finally learning to love a whole lot better.
  Lord, I have to admit, sometimes the path of love is the hardest one of all but I know, in You, everything is possible. There isn’t a religion on earth that can contain You although, Lord, how we try! Forgive us for making jars. Please show me where they still exist in my own heart. AMEN!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...