Wednesday 5 June 2019

From the Heart


  On the last day, the climax of the festival (the Jewish Festival of Shelters), Jesus stood and shouted to the crowds, “Anyone who is thirsty may come to me! Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart!’” John 7:37

  The Festival of Shelters or Tabernacles, is one of the Jewish holy celebrations that demanded pilgrimages to Jerusalem. This is a seven day festival where, on one of those days, the Temple Priests would collect water from the Pool of Siloam in a golden vessel. They would parade it along the pilgrim road to the Temple accompanied by music and dancing. The water and some wine would be poured out on the altar as a libation. (Libation is a drink poured out as an offering to a deity.) This ritual does not happen at any other time. (Thanks, Google, for helping me find all this out.)
  I’d mentioned a few posts ago about the Disciples following a water carrying man to the upper room where Jesus would meet them to celebrate Passover. This man would have been an unusual sight for the time. The idea was explored how this procession was emblematic of the Festival’s ritual.
  I thought this was going to be an exploration of Jesus as the living water but something has leapt off the page…

  The water and some wine would be poured out on the altar as a libation.

  “And he (Jesus) took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them, and they all drank from it.” Mark 14:23

  The Priests poured out the water and wine as an offering to God.
  Jesus pours out the wine as an offering to us.
  (A long pause.)
  In doing so He declares us to be God’s temple, a living altar of God’s grace and forgiveness. The Disciples’ communal sharing of this cup means the water libation ceremony is replaced by relationship: relationship with God, Jesus and each other through the sharing of the Last Supper.
  A humble cup has replaced a golden vessel.
  A table to gather around in the presence of Jesus has replaced a building with both structural and religious layers separating God from humanity.

  My brain is going in a thousand different directions, having been both humbled and awed by what has been revealed this morning.
  This has enriched an already precious act of partaking in Communion. It has always been a deeply personal moment of intimacy with Jesus; one of acknowledging and giving thanks for His life and death and life that has healed me of so much. Now I understand it is a personal moment enveloped by community.
  It’s time to step out of the safety I have created by not being involved with other people. It’s time to realize I no longer have to hold myself at a distance. Forgive me, Lord, for being so afraid, but I am. Stepping out of the boat is not easy...but then, You are there to give me a hand.
  It’s time to realize I have finally realized there is something missing from my life.
  Because of a cup of precious wine, I am not an outsider. I am an insider who has just realized how lonely a life I’ve led...

  But that, my dearest Lord Jesus, is something that can be changed. (A big, teary smile.) Forgive me for justifying all the reasons for keeping myself at a distance. Thank You for bringing trust worthy people into my life and for giving me the eyes to see them. Help me forgive all those who have betrayed me just as You forgave those who betrayed You because they didn't know what they were doing. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...