Saturday 23 March 2019

The Quest Begins


“Faith shows the reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see.” Hebrews 11:1

  As I read the rest of the chapter, it would appear faith in God places me in good company: Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, and Sarah. (Smile.) Now that’s a good way to start today’s post!
  It’s humbling, too, because I am not always quick to lean on God or trust that He’s got my back. Hmmm, maybe there is some Sarah in me.  Her story and how she took God’s promise for a son into her own hands starts in Genesis 18.

  I had a meeting last night with the first of three contractors I have approached about doing the renovations. His company is well thought of. His credentials were excellent. He was polite, well spoken and enthusiastic. He spent a good while making sure the plans included all the necessary information so the addition is built to code.
  A good point in his favor is he was glad I asked questions! Most were from an excellent list found on the internet about the business end of things. I did not feel I was being patronized at any point in our hour long chat.
  That’s a big plus in his favour.
  Once I have all three quotes I will have to make a decision.
  This is where faith kicks in. Firstly, that I have chosen three contractors who are honest and professional and secondly, that I will make the right choice. While cost is an important factor in this decision, cheap is not always best.
  I have been wondering about choosing three instead of trusting the first one to come my way… Does this imply a lack of faith? Does this mean I don’t trust God to bring the right person before me from the start?
 
  The term “blind faith” has come to mind. Blind faith is a dangerous beast.
  I am diligent when it comes to knowing more about Jesus. I lean on learned teachers, Scriptures and the Holy Spirit to discern the truth about all manner of topics pertinent to life as a Christian. It makes sense to exercise that same diligence when it comes to worldly matters.
  Stewardship. It’s not something talked about very much or even something I think about very much but it is such an important aspect of life and faith. God has blessed me with a home. To maintain this home, it needs updating and constant care. (I noticed the front porch will need re-staining this summer.) By doing this, I am exercising the deepest gratitude for God’s provisions. He has made it so I can afford all these things.
  Playing the flute or piano contains another aspect of being a steward of God’s gifts. It’s up to me to polish and refine those gifts through practice, practice, practice!
  So there we are. I am at peace about this quest for a contractor. It is a wonderful opportunity for my faith to manifest itself as trust in God to guide me throughout all the decision making that will come my way in the next while.
  To God be the glory! AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...