Wednesday 20 March 2019

First Steps


“Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” Psalm 91:1

  It has begun. I have a couple of contractors coming to give me a quote on the major renovations I want to do to the house: mud room addition, kitchen and bath. I confess to being very nervous about the whole thing simply because, and sadly because, I am a woman alone, which is why I am lifting this scriptural passage up as a prayer this morning.
  It was hard enough to find a car mechanic that didn’t take advantage of my gender, my lack of knowledge about cars. I have heard horror stories from other women who ran into the same problem hiring a contractor. It’s hard to believe this sort of thing still happens but there it is.
  But, praise God, I have been involved in major renovations before. I know what needs to be done. I know what is necessary for it to be done correctly. The woman who drew up the plans for the addition also gave me a ball park figure for what it should cost. It pays to be informed.
  Google also provided me with a slew of questions to ask in regards to contracts, payments, permits, timelines, responsibilities and staying in touch. It’s important to make decisions in a timely fashion and stay connected with the contractor throughout the process. I realize there needs to be a contingency fund over and above the quoted cost. Just in case.
  Then there is the big question (and one that is slightly overwhelming me). What to do with the contents of the house. Do they need to be removed and placed in storage? Or can I purchase a lock set for the spare bedroom and put everything in there? I can’t do the same with my bedroom because the contractor will need access to the attic which is in my closet. Oh, those clothes will have to be moved, too.
  How on earth did I acquire so much stuff?!
  What about the tools, etc. in the basement? How will they be kept secure once the wall of the house is opened up? Can the wall be opened after the addition is built and fully enclosed?
  I will have to move out temporarily once the water is shut off until the new plumbing is installed. I can get by without a kitchen; with just having a microwave, a camp stove and a barbecue to cook on outside but water is necessary to stay here.
  Perhaps it would be smart to do the bathroom first as a test for whoever I choose to hire. If they do that right, then we can proceed with the rest. But that would only drag out the chaos.
  Okay. All these concerns I lift to You, Lord. Thank You, for giving me this forum to set down my thoughts on this upcoming (and exciting) opportunity to improve my home. Thank You for the provisions that make it possible. Help me make my decisions wisely. Let me be confident in the knowledge I have yet willing to learn as I go through this. Bless me with a contractor who will be professional and honest. Most of all keep reminding me I am safe and secure in the shelter of Your wings. Don’t let me be overwhelmed by all of this. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...