Wednesday 13 March 2019

Next Steps


    “When Jesus saw her (Mary, sister of Lazarus) weeping and saw other people wailing with her, a deep anger welled up within him, and he was deeply troubled.” John 11:33

  This passage has become a stumbling block to the book I have been neglecting for the last couple of months. These few, critically important, words have created many questions I don’t have answers for. I have also been reluctant to assume what is going on in the heart of God.  It is necessary for me to understand in order to continue the next leg of the book journey. The solution? Go looking for answers to clarify what was happening in Jesus’ heart.
  Question one: why was he angry?
  Question two: why was he troubled?
  Today I will tackle the anger question.

  A quick search through Google has explained “Six Things That Made Jesus Angry” (Jana Duckett): hypocrisy, greed, lukewarm living, hard heartedness, superiority, and spiritual pride. These were taken from various scriptures but there was no mention of this particular passage. Do these sins apply to this scenario?
  Is he angry that Martha and Mary followed their Jewish customs despite being believers that Jesus is the Messiah? At least, I am assuming they did simply because of the mourners who were still with them four days after Lazarus’ death, a Jewish tradition. I suppose that could be classified under hypocrisy and lukewarm living.
  Is he angry that Martha and Mary were unable to recognize their own power as believers? Mind you, the Holy Spirit had yet to be given to anyone. It’s only after that wonderful event the disciples were able to do the miracles of God. So perhaps that’s a moot point.
  Is he angry because the ladies had put a timeline on his ability to do miracles, like there was some earthly limitation to his abilities as the Son of God?
  Is he angry because they were angry/sad/disappointed at him for not showing up according to their own timeline? Martha says it well, “Lord, if only you had been here.” 11:21 Boy, do I commiserate with Martha on this one. It can be hard learning to live according to God’s timeline for our lives.

  Unfortunately, I have to leave off at this point. There’s a staff meeting at work this morning.
  Lord, I’ve raised these questions and found a few answers. Grant me further understanding and wisdom. I believe this is one of those key moments that reveals the truth of who You are and who Your Son is. Let me see truth. In Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...