Saturday 30 March 2019

God's Provision


  It’s a rare morning I can’t find a scripture that grabs my attention. Perhaps it’s because I am not completely focused on the job this morning. It happens, especially in light of everything that is going on and has gone on this past week: meeting with contractors, a trip to Ripley’s aquarium in the city through work, making decisions about the renovations. There is another busy few days ahead as well.
  It’s not all work. Tomorrow is a trip to the Oakville Symphony, one of my greatest pleasures. Then it’s shopping which means road trips to get to the stores where I can find a broader selection of renovation materials. One is a renovation liquidator the other is Ikea. Both are about an hour away, a country mile, but in opposite directions.
  Decisions have to be made before the third contractor will submit a bid on the job. Oh, I have a rough idea about what I like and a sea shell that contains the colours I want to use; that contains the colours I’ve decorated the rest of the house in. It is not pink and peach but sand and stormy water blue/turquoise. This is a trick I learned working in a paint department: find an object like a favorite shirt that contains the colours you like then use them to decorate your home.

  “”Yes,’ the king replied ‘and to those who use well what they are given, even more will be given.’” Luke 19:26

  Thank You, Lord, for leading me to this passage. I have to admit I am wrestling terribly with spending the amount of money this reno will cost just as I struggled with buying a new flute at a fraction of the expense.
  I admit there’s guilt. A lot of it. It is also seasoned with worry about trusting a contractor, about the job being done properly, and about being provided for when I get older.
  Lord, I lift these concerns to You. Time and again, You have provided amply for my needs.

  Is the guilt because I don’t feel I deserve such things? Silly question. Of course! Why is that?
  Yet, two non-musical people told me last Sunday how much they enjoyed the sweet sound of the flute. And she is sweet! These are people who had never said anything before. Their delight affirms my purchase has made a significant difference in the joyful noise we make each Sunday. The added bonus is the flute is a delight to play.
  So let’s think about the renovations from a different aspect. I will be providing income for the contracting company. They in turn will use different businesses: electricians, plumbers, drywall installers, painters, and window installers. There may even be apprentices who are just starting out in life involved in learning their trades. My purchases will provide income for the stores, therefore for the people who work there. This will trickle down to the various manufacturers’ employees who provide the store with their goods. Then to the miners who gather the raw materials from the earth.  My reno will impact hundreds of people.
  Perhaps some of those people are in dire need of the work. Perhaps there is a single father who is trying to raise a family or a young person trying to make ends meet.
  Looking at it this way re frames my perspective tremendously.  Yes, the reno is for me but really, it is for the whole world.
  Lord, let me be a blessing to others in all I do and say. Let this be an opportunity for my faith to do the same thing: span the globe. (Smile. Now there’s a humbling thought… it already does!) In Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...