Thursday 7 March 2019

On Eagle's Wings


    “Don’t drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.” 1Timothy 5:23

  I confess to thinking that Timothy had written this book. My mistake albeit a fairly big one and an admission there is always something to learn! This is Paul’s letter to him. Thank You, Lord, while giving me the gift of truth, I have value, You have made sure to adorn it with ribbons of humility. (Smile.)

   In the midst of several pages of instructions and advice for men and women in the church and in the home, this little gem pops up out of nowhere. It says so much and raises a gazillion questions!
  Was Timothy feeling the stress of trying to organize a church in Ephesus that, in reading the entire book I understand was rife with complications and misunderstandings? Was that why his stomach was bothering him? We know now that ulcers and alcohol don’t mix but back then the water may have been more questionable.
  It was awfully sweet of Paul to encourage Timothy to not forget to take care of himself, too!

  I have no idea where this is going. There have been several attempts to say something wise that have ended up being nothing more than fluff and feathers to be quickly deleted. It would appear wisdom is not my friend this morning. (Smile and a laugh.)
  How about I share how excited I am to know there is a pair of Bald Eagles nesting just north of me? A couple weeks ago one flew past but I wasn’t sure if my eyes hadn’t been deceived by the morning sun. They weren’t. A friend confirmed their presence in the area. It’s good to know their numbers have increased enough that the eagle’s territory is expanding outside of protected and isolated areas. They were once critically endangered.
  But people made better choices. I think the pesticide DDT played a role in the eagle’s falling numbers as well as several other raptors. It was banned. Nesting sites were built. Penalties for killing them grew. We took the high road and some fifty years later the eagles now fly over new areas.

  So that’s it for today except to say that church leadership isn’t responsible for our choices.
  I also want to pray for the pastors, priests, ministers, missionaries and elders who have taken on the role as church leaders. I pray for those leaders whose health suffers because of the commitment to their congregations. May God sustain you and infuse your life with health and the Holy Spirit. In Jesus’ name I pray. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...