Monday 27 March 2023

The Art of Prayer: Wrapping Up

   "I (Jesus) tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them. Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pasture. The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." John 10:7-10

  It's good to be back here, writing. There were some issues with Google so I was unable to access anything under their umbrella until the problem got fixed. It was a long, long forty-eight hours without the frequently used Google search and having no access to my email. I am thankful it has been resolved.
  This unplanned for break has provided some time to reflect on all that's been shared about the Art of Prayer and to pray about what the next steps might look like. I don't have a clear answer on that, yet, just a gentle nudging to begin investigating a location to host an in person group of curious people.
  If you build it, they will come. (A favorite line from the movie "Field of Dreams.")
  Smile. There is a barrage of nay-saying going on in my head. It would appear many of the objections that come in the way of trying our hand at art are transferable. The Yahbut is having a grand time of it this morning.

  You probably know this about me already, how doing new things is utterly terrifying. Changes in routine are equally so but if I let the fear stop me...it wins. If I let him, the thief steals the measurable possibilities out from under God's immeasurable ability to help us overcome all obstacles. 
  All of these posts about the Art of Prayer, the explorations and encouragements all boils down to this:
  Are you willing to try? 
  Are you willing to speak to God visually?
  Are you willing to miss the mark? 
  Are you willing to learn from this and try again? 
  Are you willing to give yourself, your time, your mind and your body, to the prayer process for even five minutes?
  Are you willing to kneel and be humbled by the incredible grace of God who meets us where we are at?
  Are you willing to let God unlock your heart?
  Are you willing to listen?
  
  Are you willing...that's all that matters.

  I have to stop reinforcing the idea that I need to be afraid of new things and routine changes. The negative things we speak over ourselves gains a stronger foothold the more we repeat them. It's like we are poisoning ourselves one word at a time.   
  Forgive me Lord, for doing this to myself, for believing the lies. Help me remember to speak life giving words in their place. In you, there is no place for fear. With you, fear will be overcome.
  Repentance is a turning away from the things of death and a turning towards the things of life. Repentance is walking through the Jesus gate.
  If we are willing.
  This is my favorite part of being a Christian: God will never, ever force us to do anything.
 
  While I have never painted my pasture, I have imagined what it would look like. It has evolved over time, gaining clarity the more times spent visiting the place that resides in my heart. Jesus is finally in the picture. I waited a long time to see Him there. (Smile. He waited until I was ready to see Him there!)
  What does your pasture look like? How is the fence made? Is there a stream? A river running through it? Are there animals with you? Flowers? Is the sun shining? Or is life giving rain falling softly to the ground? Is your pasture nestled in a mountain valley or is it part of a vast prairie landscape? What else do you see there? 
  Is there a gate?
  Is it open?
  Yup.

  Hear my prayer, O God. 
  I lift the artists up to you, the ones who have been buried by time and trial. I lift the creator spirits up to you, the ones crushed by regulations and rules. I lift the playful heart up to you, the ones silenced for propriety's sake. I lift them up to you so they may be set free, so they may know the rich pastures You have prepared for them. In Jesus name, AMEN!


  
  
   
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 4

  "Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked." Psalm 1:1   I don't have to go too far to find wicked ad...