Saturday 18 March 2023

The Art of Prayer, Part 18

   "There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but is the same God who does the work in all of us." 1 Corinthians 12:4-6

  The TV was tuned into "The Chosen," as I sat on the couch to work on the art prayer started a couple of days ago. It's not my usual spot but because of the depths of emotion getting stirred up, the show provided a buffer. It provided hope as the story of Jesus unfolds.
  It doesn't mean I wasn't paying attention to the Holy Spirit while colouring the various aspects of the image. He had much to say.
  Most of all I realized praying is a process of layers. Creating art is a layering process as well.
  It's why they fit so well together.
  There's an order to creation. It's a systematic, step by step process of invitation aimed at a final destination. 
  Hmmm...a process of invitation. I hadn't thought of that before. 
  Any work of art starts with an idea. It can be simple. It can be complex. The idea invites us to participate in a journey. Sometimes this means tossing the original idea out the window! 
  When I was in school learning how to be a graphic designer, every project began with thumbnail sketches: mini drawings that explored different layout ideas for an ad. One idea was chosen then expanded and polished into a final project fit for marking. This was just at the start of computer graphics when everything was still done manually even the lines on business forms...when did I get so old! 
  (If you want to explore the computer as a creative tool, go for it! Kudos to you if you already use one!)
  Layers. 
  Adding layers keeps us in the moment.
  Adding layers helps us travel alongside the Holy Spirit.
  Ironically, the concentration required stills our mind; a process most of us struggle with when we don't have anything to distract us from the minutia of day to day life. Concentration gives us the gift of being in the zone.
  Ah, yes, the zone.
  Have you ever been so utterly involved in reading a book that the world around you disappears? That's the zone. My friend is very patient with me when I am so immersed in creating a piece of art, I don't hear a word she says.
  The zone is the place the physical self disappears. The artist becomes the act of doing because the doing is all that matters. 
  The zone is being in the moment to the nth degree. That's why there's layers to creation. It can take time to reach this level of concentration which isn't really concentration. It is a complete surrender to the process, the layering, the building of a visual story or prayer. 
  It's why stepping back every once in a while is so important. Sometimes I get so involved in the making, I don't take time to hear what God is saying to me or through me. (My friend is in good Company!) 

  I am waiting to see if I am to share the prayer that has been in the works for the last couple of days. I have a strong sense it isn't finished yet. Part of me thinks it's a giant thumbnail, the birthplace of bigger ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...