Thursday 23 March 2023

The Art of Prayer, Part 21

  "The Lord is my shepherd, I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows, he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name." Psalm 23:1-3

  He leads me, us. It's why I am sitting here this morning pondering the idea of bunny trails. It's an expression used to describe wandering off topic during a discussion or while writing. We often apologize for doing this but I believe there is a place for bunny trails in prayer life.
  We offer specific prayers for friends and family, for ourselves and in gratitude. Prayer is used in spiritual warfare and to give blessings. I have often found myself checking off the boxes to make sure the necessary topics or requests for the day were covered. Not that there's anything wrong with this, not one bit! God hears our prayers.
  The question is, do our prayers allow space for us to hear Him?
  The Art of Prayer is giving the space and time to have a conversation with God. 
  Bunny trails have a place here because I believe it's the Lord leading the focus elsewhere or on a particular idea that needs unravelling or discussion with Him. 
  But what if it isn't God? How do we know? 
  First of all, just ask Him. (Smile. That seems like a rather trite answer but seriously, just ask!)
  Secondly, trust that He will make your path straight. 

  I think back to when God called me to the drafting table and I obeyed Him for the first time. It was the beginning of using art as a way of learning about my new faith and this Jesus person who was only there because I figured I had nothing to lose. Sitting there, drawing, I began to recognize I didn't have to control what happened in the art. 
  Obedience has a bad name, doesn't it? Obedience is usually demanded by someone else who is in control. Enforcing obedience is about maintaining power. (Smile. No, don't drive 120KM/hr in a school zone. That's not what I mean.)
  Obedience to God is different because it's not about suppression. Obedience to God is a turning away from the evil in this world. 
  It brings joy and fulfillment. Not just for ourselves, but for others, too.

  Obedience to God is finding rest in the green pastures where the river slips slowly by. 
  The sun is shining here today and playing peek-a boo with the clouds. There's a couple of bunnies grazing on the lush clover just out of arm's reach. Jesus is here, too. He bends over to gently pat the soft fur. He smiles. He has plans for where this bunny will lead.
  I wonder where yours will take you? 

 Oh. The bunny's name is Curiosity.

  
  
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...