Monday 6 March 2023

The Art of Prayer, Part 12

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy." Ephesians 4:23-24

  At some point yesterday, the idea of creating a devotional around the art of prayer leapt into my mind. I awoke exploring this idea, utterly overwhelmed at the thought of doing 365 pages. As I opened my bedroom curtains to let the light in, the idea was pared down to maybe doing a month long journey.
  I was curious, was there already something out there like this? Google provided links to many similar ideas, already published. As I read through a few various book blurbs and sample pages, even one entitled, "The Art of Prayer," I thought this will never fly. It's already been done. (Yahbut whispered, "By others far more experienced!) I can't even use my title! (Whine and cheese are the Yahbut's favorite meal.)

  Years ago I attended a two day conference around being Trauma Informed which explored how trauma can impact people. During the course of the lecture, we were paired up. As we stood one in front of the other, we were encouraged to fall back and trust the person behind us to catch us. Yah. Couldn't do it. No way. I couldn't trust a stranger to not let me fall. 
  It opened the door to a whole whack of belittling myself for failing the "test." Thinking about it now, it was an entirely inappropriate exercise for a conference about trauma.
  (Smile.) Here I am, roughly 12 posts into encouraging others to try something new and I find myself balking at trying something new. Jesus is asking me to fall back into His arms. The question isn't whether or not I can, the question is do I want to?

  Maybe it isn't about creating a finished product, be it 365 pages or only two. Maybe it's about the journey in and of itself.
  And there it is...I don't need to write a "how to" book because my "How To" mightn't be yours. My "How To" might end up being a stumbling block or a burden. My "How To" might instill shame and self-doubt or be utterly overwhelming.
  The idea of writing a devotional or even exploring the Art of Prayer is not about performance or achievement...what a shocking thought! Imagine tossing the standards of life out the window! 
  It's about freedom.

  Maybe my role is to be the key holder for the rusty lock of a door long closed. 
  There are some wonderful and beautiful things waiting on the other side of the door. I can't wait for you to see them!

  (Smile.) If I close in prayer, I've written a devotional even if I have broken away from the "Standard Format" by using only one Scripture verse to start off. (The nerve!)

  Dear Lord, I get myself so twisted up in knots at the thought of trying something new. Thank you that I can bring these warring emotions before you and with your help, find out what is true. Thank you that I don't have to be anything but honest...blah, blah, blah...

  ...the prayer isn't flowing. Boy, I rebel at the "have to do's". 
  Who say's a "devotional" has to end in prayer? What would happen if prayer didn't stop at the end of a daily reading? 
  Aren't our lives supposed to be the prayer? 
  Prayer is infinite, with many expressions and can exist by us, in all our ways, acknowledging Him...Lord God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
  So how about this instead...
  "I want to become a living prayer who uses creative expression to put things into words. More than anything, I want to use the keys, the gifts, God has entrusted into my keeping to open the door for others. Help me remain open to Your voice and loving guidance throughout the day. To God be the glory,  AMEN!!"

  
  
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...