Saturday 25 August 2018

Stewardship

  It would seem that each summer I find some sort of natural delight to focus on. One year it was the wildflowers growing in the Conservation Area across the road. The next, trying to photograph dragonflies. This year, it's the frogs. This one in particular. Smaller ones have come and gone but he has remained in my back yard for several weeks now.
  He made quite the leap to sit on this throne that is in prime location to survey his domain. I was amazed the jump was even possible!
  The best part is he (could be a she) has grown comfortable with my presence and goes about froggy business without a care in the world. This morning I watched him hop across the patio to feast on a couple of tent caterpillars who were unwisely travelling at ground level. 
  I also found out that frogs can live anywhere from four to fourteen years. I suppose that's only if they escape predators.
  Boy, Google can be a wonderful thing. 

  A loud singing tree frog has been in the trees next to my driveway. It just might be the one I photographed on the kitchen window. Curious, I found out they mate all through the summer. The males will sing their inviting song; inviting if you happen to be a frog. Not so melodic if you are a human. The males will only broadcast when they have found a suitable site for the lady to lay her eggs. 
  I am honoured if this is my little pond.
  It is causing me to rethink how I open the pond in the spring. Normally it gets drained, scrubbed and refilled with fresh water because it gets rather disgusting over the course of fall and winter. Perhaps if I figured out some way to prevent leaves from falling into the water, it wouldn't get so bad.
  Here's the thing. I don't know if eggs have been laid in the pond. I don't know if they survive freezing to hatch in the spring. 
  I know reptiles and amphibians are in trouble. Pollution, habitat destruction and invasive plant species have taken their toll. If I can help in some small way by changing how I do something or by doing a little extra like figuring out how to stop leaves from falling into the water, it's well worth the effort. 
  More research is needed.
  In the meantime, I will keep an eye on the pond. Just because a gentleman was singing doesn't mean there was a lady nearby.
  But wouldn't it be the coolest thing if tree frog babies were able to hatch and grow in the safest environment ever!
  "The Lord God placed the man in the Garden of Eden to tend and watch over it." Genesis 2:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...