Tuesday 11 July 2023

Vanity

 "Don't copy the behaviour and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

  Today's guest on Gina's live was a plastic surgeon. While we listened to him share about the various treatments for saggy, aging, loose skin I couldn't help but realize how many unhappy people there are in this world. I couldn't help but realize there are people who invest tens of thousands of dollars to not "look their age."
  A while back there was an ad on a local TV station for a cosmetic surgeon. The woman had obviously utilized their services. Her face did not look natural or move naturally. Her eyes and mouth were too tight, too frozen. I likened it to a scary clown. It wasn't a good face to advertise what plastic surgery can do.
  How sad...how sad that she had to go to such lengths to see herself as beautiful but I wonder...did she? Or did she keep on trying other ways to stave off the toll of time? Did she keep thinking someone else could make her beautiful?
  I've probably written about her before because she touched my woman's heart with deep sorrow. She has a face I cannot forget.

  I am not against using surgical methods if there is a need. Even for myself down the road. I have very deep set eyes and yes, eyebrows, like the rest of me, feel the effect of gravity. There may come a point when it is impossible to keep my eyes open so an eye lift might become a necessity. However, if the weight loss delays the need for surgery, that's an added bonus! 

 Hmm...if there is a need. Who am I to decide for someone if there is or isn't a need?

  So...vanity...is it looking in the mirror and celebrating the impact weight loss has on every part of my body? Is it vain to celebrate that my own middle-aged jowls are less noticeable? What about the the incredible shrinking double chin? The belly shelf is being put back where it belongs, too.
  I guess the bigger question is this: Is being thinner my barometer of beauty?
  Maybe. 
  But maybe it's because my features were lost, compressed, blurred and swallowed by all the extra weight I was carrying. 
  Maybe looking in the mirror is more like seeing the real me coming out of the shadows. Maybe seeing the woman who didn't take care of herself shrink away into a distant memory is actually an exercise in gratitude.
  Because I am grateful.
  Looking in the mirror is where I can see God's healing within be manifested. It's okay to need proof or the encouragement this brings because there is still a ways to go. All I know is this wonderful body will let me know when we've got there.

  Thanks You, Lord, for all You have done through Gina's program. Thank You that it has helped me understand on a deeper level how wonderfully made we are. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 6

   "No one lights a lamp and them puts it under a basket." Matthew 5:15   Guess what? Boundaries are more than no trespassing sign...